Group Product Manager – NorthAm Partner API Growth
We’re looking for a product leader to join our growing North America team in New York. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
We’re looking for an experienced product leader to lead our team focused on ensuring Wise can work with leading technology, e-commerce and financial platforms to help customers manage their money in a borderless world. While Wise has historically provided customers and businesses directly with convenient, fast and cheap cross-border financial needs, we are increasingly doing so via the power of APIs with our partners, which include banks, accounting platforms, payments companies, e-commerce companies and more. Our partners include Google Pay, N26, Xero, GoCardless, Bolt and many others.
This is a unique opportunity to join our mission to make money without borders instant, convenient and eventually free for millions of people across North America – and to work with leading partners in reaching those customers faster than we would doing so alone.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the North America Team:
- You’ll help other businesses work with Wise to save their customers money and time when managing their money transfers and other needs across international borders
- You’ll multiply Wise’s growth rate by unlocking core functionality through the power of APIs and cross-border payments infrastructure – in short, the products you build will help Wise reach consumers and small businesses wherever they are managing their money in global environments. You can check out our API docs online to understand the current state of the product.
- You’ll lead, coach and grow a team locally in North America, as well as shape the API vision for Wise globally
- You’ll scale a best in class product across the US and Canada while ensuring the learnings you have in-market are shared back with our other global regions and you are building a global API platform that truly works across borders
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader – build your team and inspire them to join our mission
- As a true trailblazer at Wise, in this role you’ll be defining and carving out a new space critical to our US, Canada and international growth
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
A bit about you:
- You understand how to build products and teams from the ground up – importantly you understand how to build APIs as end-products and understand how to work with partners to unlock the core use cases those APIs enable
- You have empathy for your partners as customers and can quickly identify the problems worth solving, explaining your rationale with data (rather than assumptions and truisms)
- You can clearly articulate and measure the customer value of the products you and your team build and launch: you prioritise based on the value you add for customers
- You understand how to size and prioritize opportunities with business development teams, all while ensuring we don’t build for just one-partner; rather we build API products that scale for many partners
- You can lead people and build teams that deliver at scale – whether that is hiring for new talent or getting the best out of the existing team
- You see opportunities not blockers and are able to inspire your team to dream big, align on a vision and find a clear a path to get there
- You understand technology and have worked in API partner or customer environments – you know when to invest in tech debt reduction, bugs or new features
- You are hands-on and enjoy solving problems and getting things shipped by yourself as well. You may have used SQL, written code or been the stand-in designer in a previous role. Everyone at Wise gets involved in executing projects, even our CEO!
Some extra skills that would be great (but not essential):
- Experience in fintech or e-commerce
- Experience working in a regulated environment (e.g. payments, finance, etc)
Interested? Read more:
- The growth of Wise and what’s next for us
- When it’s not just a job: Career development at Wise
- How we work: a practical guide
- The value of stock in a growth company like Wise
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
Getting Started: Reviewing your Application
At this stage, our recruiter and hiring manager will be reviewing applications, alongside cover letters to narrow down the most excellent candidates based off your resume and answers to our application questions.
Pro tip: We ask application questions for a reason – because this company is on a mission and this role is about communication – so take this opportunity to show us who you are and why you’re a great fit! 📝 Please bear in mind when answering: customer impact is above everything for us.
A 30 minute call with Lindsey Grossman (our hiring lead) or one our Product Recruiters / Product Managers from the NorthAm Team via Zoom.
Note: In case your first interviewer is not her, we’ll make sure to provide you an opportunity to have a follow-up call with Lindsey after to have a quick intro and discuss your questions.
- Your interviewer will intro you to Wise, their team and the role
- Your motivation to join the Mission
- Your experience of shipping impactful API products, utilising build – measure – learn, your quantitative approach
- Competency based questions & values fit, focused on our 4 core values
Your 2nd interview will be with 2 product managers / leads from the regional expansion tribe. The 60 minute interview will take place over Zoom and will be competency based.
- This interview will give you the opportunity to try out what it’s like to work and solve problems at Wise
- It also gives you the chance to show us your product skills and abilities to solve meaningful customer problems
- Topics: (1) Your Product API experience, (2) Vision and prioritisation, (3) Your leadership skills, (4) Your data skills
Tech / Team-fit Interview
Your 3rd interview will be with 2 engineering leads from the team. The 60 minute interview will take place over Zoom and will be competency based.
- This interview will be focusing on your experience working closely with engineers in a cross-functional team and your related skills
- Topics: (1) Building partnerships with your engineering teams and internal stakeholders, (2) Problem-solving and navigating API design decisions and conflicts with engineers, (3) Your API tech and design depth
Take-Home Case Study
You’ll receive our take-home task alongside feedback within 2 days of your successful Tech/Team-fit interview. We’d expect your take-home task back within 4-5 working days. We aim to provide feedback to you within 3 working days.
About the take-home task:
- Our home task will give you the opportunity to try out what it’s like to work and solve API problems at Wise
- It gives you the chance to show us your product skills and abilities to solve meaningful customer problems
Your final interview will be with Sharon Kean (our international product expansion senior lead) and another product lead from the team over Zoom. The interview will be 60 minutes long and will be a competency-based.
- Focusing on feedback you received from previous interviews
- Taking your case study to deeper levels and challenge your product building thinking (eg. how would you put your findings into practice?)
- Competency-based and scenario based questions around your past experience and expertise
- Providing you the opportunity to pick the minds of our leads and ask your questions to them
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our New York office
A space as unique as the city. Here you’ll enjoy a full slice of Wise as we build the new world of money.