Graduate Software Engineer
Early CareersNew York
We've got over 9 million customers worldwide and we're growing fast. We're on a mission - to build money without borders. Want to get involved? Join us as a graduate and help make money without borders the new normal.
TransferWise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 9 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
We’re creating a scalable, high performing platform for our customers. And we need smart graduates to join us in our mission.
At TransferWise you’ll work on challenging technical problems across the full product life-cycle and you’ll build systems that give our customers a great experience.
How you’ll contribute to our Engineering team:
- Help take TransferWise to the next level as we scale to impact 100’s of millions more customers
- You’ll help build seamless experiences for our customers
- Work on the core flow of TransferWise. Guide our customers from their first experience on our landing page, to completing a transfer. You’ll help make sure they’re informed every step of the way
- Create clear and helpful interfaces, whilst maintaining consistency, maintainability and performance
- Understand the challenges our customers face and set out to solve them
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact. We believe people do great things when they can act autonomously. So, instead of being told what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. You can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise, but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different – so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things go back to normal) to work with our teams in different locations. You’ll also meet various partners and organisations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take? These things are a must:
- You are a final year student studying a Bachelors or Masters degree. This might be in Computer Science (or any other STEM subject)
- You are able to start a full time graduate job in September 2021
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms and software design
- A self-started side project(s) that you are proud to talk about
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Curious, keen to learn and proactive by nature
- A strong product mindset and passion for user experience. You prioritise work with customers in mind, and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- You believe in and follow best coding practices and code reviews
- You are open to and value feedback in order to improve
- Familiarity of data models with SQL
- Knowledge of working with RESTful Web Services
- A basic knowledge in modern web technologies and a strong interest in web development
- Eligible to work in New York
And these would be great, but aren’t essential:
- Experience in web development, from a previous internship
…Don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
In your first 6 months:
- You’ll onboard remotely and spend some time understanding your team and tribe’s vision. Once you know this, you’ll better understand how you can contribute
- Understand the TransferWise domain
- Understand the problems your team are solving
- Understand how engineering works at TransferWise and what each team and tribe does. From Fraud to Anti Money Laundering teams – there are lots! Don’t worry, we’ll help you get acquainted
- Understand the tech culture, the detail of the tech stack and how we build stuff. We work in autonomous teams, on different stacks so you’ll need to understand the details
- You’ll get to go through the entire lifecycle of a microservice on your own
- We’re big on planning. You’ll go through two quarterly plan cycles and get to propose your own ideas to take your product further
What you get back:
- 🚀 Stock options in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of team activities (currently being done remotely)
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
What the application process looks like:
We review applications to find candidates who are studying (or have studied) a relevant degree, have an interesting side hustle or university project AND have a clear motivation for wanting to work at TransferWise.
Pro tip: We ask application questions for a reason – because we are on a mission, and we want to find out if you can help us with it. Take this opportunity to show us who you are, and why you’re a great fit. Don’t forget to include the detail of your studies and projects on your CV.
Once through the initial application screen you’ll be sent a link to complete a HackerRank test. This is so we can find out more about your coding skills. You can have a look at the HackerRank site, read all about it and get practicing now.
Pro tip: Practice! We’re sure you can do it, but nerves can get the better of you. Have a few trial runs before you take the actual test on the link we sent you.
If you’re successful with the HackerRank test, we’ll send you through to the next round which is a video interview. We use a platform called HireVue, and you’ll complete a 5-question video assessment where you’ll get a chance to let us know who you are as a person.
Pro tip: Be clear with your examples. We don’t want vague! Give solid explanations to each answer, and use as much detail as possible to describe the situation. We want to know all about you and how you tick. Have a look at the documents we’ll send you to get an idea about our mission and culture. Find somewhere quiet, with brilliant WiFi (so you don’t get distracted). You’ll get a chance to practice before you begin for real – use this time to warm up and get into your flow.
Almost there! Once you’ve passed through the above stages, you’ll be asked to join our final round. This is a face to face (virtual) interview with someone in our Engineering team. They’ll want to test your technical knowledge, and how you work through problems. They’ll also want to find out more about why you want the role.
Pro tip: Be really clear about what you can bring to TransferWise, and what you want from the role. Be prepared to talk about a project you have been working on, and how it could impact the customer or end-user. Also consider how your university learnings could be applied to work at TransferWise.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our New York office
A space as unique as the city. Here you’ll enjoy a full slice of TransferWise as we build the new world of money.