Senior Payroll Specialist
We’re currently hiring for a Senior Payroll Specialist to join our newly created global Payroll Team based in Tampa, Florida!
We’re looking for an enthusiastic payroll superstar, with a detailed eye for accuracy and a desire to grow your payroll expertise and knowledge. You’ll have above-average understanding of payrolls, its overall function, and how our team provides excellent service to others. You’ll be responsible for the accurate, effective, and timely processing of your multiple payrolls/countries for each pay period.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. We’re 2200+ Wisers strong, with over 70 nationalities working in offices from Tampa to Tokyo, and several places in-between. We’re looking for new team members who will live our values, grow our culture, and drive our mission forward! 🚀
This exciting role will join a team responsible for the overall global payroll process, including compliance, internal audit, and reconciliation across multiple countries for TransferWise. You’ll complete a variety of daily, weekly, monthly, annual and ad-hoc tasks to ensure your payrolls are processed in accordance ahead of payroll deadlines.
This role will include partnering with our third-party payroll vendor and their advisors to strive for accuracy, reduce errors, and process payroll more efficiently. You will partner to develop robust & detailed processes to ensure the execution of payroll in an effective, efficient, and timely manner. Cross-training will be key!
This amazing role will also participate by providing a variety of deliverables, including global projects, pre-post payroll journals, internal audits, and more. Also, you will provide input regarding team goals, KPIs, efficiencies, process improvements, and future optimization of our payroll team – all while providing outstanding customer service. Always.
This role reports directly to the Global Payroll Lead, also located in Tampa, Florida.
- You’ll be working on our Global Payroll Team, servicing 16+ countries using Workday (HRIS) and Payroll through an outsourced, Workday Certified Partner
- You’ll prepare, double-check, cross-check, review and analyze payrolls according to the established deadlines
- You’ll be completely responsible to ensure the timely submission of your payroll inputs to our third party payroll provider
- You’ll partner with your Lead to recommend new approaches, policy and procedure changes towards continuous improvement within the team
- You’ll ensure you payrolls balance to your inputs – always
- You’ll be responsible for all documentation within your historical payroll files
- Continue to increase Subject Matter Expertise on your allocated locations, on all payroll and legislative matters, providing support, as needed, to others
- Work with the Payroll team and the Global Payroll Lead to provide additional processing/transaction support, as needed
- You’ll partner to ensure compliance across all locations globally, to include International, Federal, State, and local payroll tax laws – All the while, meeting applicable timelines effectively and efficiently
- Stay current with regulation changes affecting your payrolls to ensure accuracy and service to our customers
- Partner to complete and respond to regulatory agency inquiries
Financials, Audits, and Reporting:
- Responsible for outputs of your payrolls, such as payroll journals, GL files, and ad-hoc reporting
- You’ll ensure all reporting and data is completed timely
- We’re evolving our payroll model – you’ll have the chance to bring your brainpower and prior experience to help us build an outstanding payroll team as we continue to grow and scale
- You’ll assist to create efficiencies in our current ways of working and/or develop new ways while we implement payroll processing using our new global system
A bit about you
- Prior payroll processing experience of at least 3+ years in a high growth, product or service led company – this assists you to know how to deal with ambiguity, shifting priorities and come up with innovative solutions
- Experience processing multi-state and/or international payrolls is required
- Strong payroll skills – you’ll have experience in all forms of preparing, processing, correcting, and auditing with all aspects of payroll – as well as the ability to learn new payroll processes efficiently
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal – Other languages are always welcome!
- Above average tech skills – particularly with Google Docs, Sheets, and Microsoft Excel for use of pivot tables, charts, etc – as well as being proficient in using payroll software
Nice to haves:
- Ideally a professional payroll certification to demonstrate your expertise within the field of payroll such as: APA certification (or similar)
- Additional education such as an Associates or Bachelors Degree is encouraged, but not required
Stuff that’ll come naturally to you:
- Collaborative – you’ll have a passion and skill for building strong relationships based on trust and mutual respect
- Detail focused – you’ll have an eye for the details and an appreciation of data and analytics, using these two skills to drive your decisions
- Adaptable – you will be as comfortable working with ambiguity as you are with certainly. We need someone who can be agile enough to respond to changing priorities, but be able to hold clear on the long term path ahead
- Curiosity to learn, grow – we don’t expect you to be an expert, but we’ll need you to have a positive, can-do attitude – with a willingness to learn new things
- Ability to multi-task – you must be able to handle multiple tasks – often at the same time. You’ll also have the ability to start, stop, pick-up and complete tasks on a recurring basis
- Teamwork focused – You excel in a teamwork-oriented setting. This role requires you to partner with your peers and cross-check of assigned payrolls
- You must already be legally authorized to work in the US, we cannot provide Visas for this role
- This is NOT a permanently remote position. This is a full-time position in Tampa, Florida, so we’re only considering local candidates for this role
Here’s a few articles for you to read to learn more about our culture and product:
- “We inspire smart people and we trust them”
- What we do
- How we work
- Tampa Bay Times’ #1 Midsized workplace for 2019
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our Tampa office
In the centre of the Sunshine State, you can find our Tampa office, surrounded by theme parks, entertainment spots and sports galore.