Purpose of the role:
The Financial Crime Compliance Testing Lead will serve as the subject matter expert responsible for implementing a comprehensive financial crime control testing strategy for Wise. As part of a global team, this role will help manage the company’s compliance monitoring and testing program and support compliance by ensuring our controls are healthy and in line with KYC, Sanctions, and AML/CTF laws and regulations.
This position requires close partnership with our financial crime compliance operational and product teams, with opportunities to present to senior stakeholders and shape the strategic direction of the financial crime compliance program.
This role helps establish, refine, and execute the testing process by a growing global team of specialists across multiple jurisdictions to ensure that it falls within expected parameters established by governing bodies and industry standards. As a testing lead you will create consistent, well established, documented, and rationalized processes/procedures for testing the design and effectiveness of internal controls related to financial crimes risk and evaluating results to determine if issues exist and improvement recommendations are necessary that are supported by regulatory and industry guidance and requirements.
This role will report directly to the BSA Officer at Wise and will be a senior member of the team, acting as the primary compliance testing subject matter expert for North America. This role has the responsibility of developing and executing control testing scripts, designing thematic testing reviews, and coordinating independent testing/consulting engagements with outside vendors when necessary. This role provides visibility, collaboration, and ensures we are compliant in our processes and products while building up a compliance control testing team with area expertise.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Scope, design, and execute control testing plans including testing scripts for ongoing testing of financial crime controls
- Document and maintain clear procedures and work papers and outlining the control testing scope and methodologies in line with best in industry practices
- Partner with control testing specialists to carry our regular and thematic testing on financial crime controls
- Focus on the applicable regulatory requirements to ensure testing is adequately designed to identify potential control gaps and non-compliance with laws and regulations
- Deliver regular control testing reports to senior management, highlighting results, recommendations for enhancements, and remediation efforts as needed
- Engage with our compliance operations teams and product managers to ensure timely execution of remediation plans and tracking by the financial crime oversight function
- Organize and prepare metrics and ongoing management information reports related to the control monitoring and testing program assessments
- Identify when external independent testing is required or advisable and participate in the request for proposal and vendor selection process
- Develop leadership and independence within specialists on the control testing team
- Provide support and subject matter expertise during internal audits, third party reviews, and regulatory exams that review the compliance monitoring and testing program
- Minimum 5 years of experience across controls testing, audit, or and/or regulatory exam support, at least 3 of which should involve testing or audit within the payments or financial services space
- Experience developing control testing methodologies and testing scripts for financial crime controls
- Superior research, analytical, writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Knowledge of financial crimes related regulations and frameworks, such as: Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Know Your Customer (KYC), Consumer Due Diligence (CDD) and Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD), Sanctions, Transaction Monitoring, and third party on-boarding
- Proven track record of taking individual ownership and responsibilities as well as being a great team-player.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a complex organization, across multiple cultures, geographies, and disciplines.
- Project management and organizational skills and capability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to travel on occasion as needed.
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (ACAMS) certification or similar.
- Experience with in-house developed screening/transaction monitoring systems and model validation.
- Previous experience presenting a control testing program to regulatory agencies or partners
- Experience with training/mentoring junior team members.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our New York office
A space as unique as the city. Here you’ll enjoy a full slice of Wise as we build the new world of money.