Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead, based in our New York City office (with a flexible combined in-office and WFH approach), to join our mission.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to lead our team focused on ensuring Wise can work with leading technology, e-commerce and financial platforms to help customers manage their money in a borderless world. While Wise has historically provided customers and businesses directly with convenient, fast and cheap cross-border financial needs, we are increasingly doing so via the power of APIs with our partners, which include banks, accounting platforms, payments companies, e-commerce companies and more. Our partners include N26, Xero, GoCardless, Bolt and many others. This is a unique opportunity to join our mission to make money without borders instant, convenient and eventually free for millions of people across North America – and to work with leading partners in reaching those customers faster than we would doing so alone.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the North America Team:
- You’ll help other businesses work with Wise to save their customers money and time when managing their money transfers and other needs across international borders
- You’ll multiply Wise’s growth rate by unlocking core functionality through the power of APIs and cross-border payments infrastructure – in short, the products you build will help Wise reach consumers and small businesses wherever they are managing their money in global environments. You can check out our API docs online to understand the current state of the product.
- You'll lead, coach and grow a team locally in North America, as well as shape the API vision for Wise globally
- You’ll scale a best in class product across the US and Canada while ensuring the learnings you have in-market are shared back with our other global regions and you are building a global API platform that truly works across borders
What does it take?
- Working with other Wise leaders globally to achieve our Mission: Money without borders.
- Building a championship team. Fostering an environment of autonomy where everyone is encouraged to identify and prioritise customer problems and opportunities.
- Helping your team make data-driven decisions by providing feedback on architecture and approach.
- Raise the bar for the team to reach new heights of technical excellence.
Is that you?
- You want to work for a company you believe in its mission
- You’re passionate about building high quality products, working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- You have experience in leading, hiring, coaching and mentoring driven individuals
- You’re enabling your team to solve complex problems by breaking them down into small iterative steps of incremental value
- You’ve built and designed scalable and performing systems
- You have experience in designing, deploying and maintaining clean RESTful APIs
- You have experience with microservices architecture, asynchronous message queues and SQL databases
- You are still hands on with coding, and enjoy getting your hands dirty
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have:
- You’ve worked with Java/Kotlin, preferably with Spring Boot
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product has on their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact – the part of the product you’ll build is key to Wise reaching future millions of customers and redefining how payments work internationally at scale
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
Find out more about our benefits in our New York office
Interested? Find out more:
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our New York office
A space as unique as the city. Here you’ll enjoy a full slice of Wise as we build the new world of money.