Principal/Group Product Manager – Leading Middle East & Africa Expansion
We’re looking for a Principal / Group Product Manager to join our growing Middle East & Africa (MEA) team working from our London office. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product person and help save millions for our customers in MEA and around the world.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Every month, we help hundreds of thousands of customers send money to and from the Middle East and Africa. You’ll be working in a squad focusing on growing our product across a broad set of the world’s developing currencies; your key focus will be prioritising amongst these markets (particularly MEA) and guiding the team to execute on these.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing:
- You’ll build a deep understanding of customers and markets in the MEA region, and use this to guide the team to focus on high-impact opportunities.
- How you do this is up to you, let it be drawing conclusions from data, working with the research team to understand customer behaviour or speaking to customers directly.
- You’ll go the extra mile to help the team execute – whether it’s unblocking a negotiation with a partner, coming up with creative solutions to reach more MEA customers and better understanding whether we can take on technical debts to progress faster.
- You’ll work with a team across many functions – from engineering, analytics, and design to compliance, finance, and banking.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Directly contribute to our mission to make money without borders the new normal – you will need to figure out how we can get to our mission of 100% transfers being instant faster
- Build world-class products: The role is a unique opportunity to build state-of-the-art products focusing on expanding the Wise offering in MEA specifically
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader – You will build and inspire your own team, but also other teams to contribute to our mission
A bit about you:
- Customer-focus – You’ve worked on a product with thousands or even millions of customers, ran surveys or research and interviewed people who used your product
- Making decisions and providing direction – You can differentiate the signal from the noise and focus on what’s truly important
- Entrepreneurial – You have delivered high impact products before in data-driven environments
- You’re data-driven – In a world of conflicting signals, you are able to prioritise the value you can add to customers, and get the entire company behind you telling a story with the data you have enquired. You’ll need to show us you’re dedicated to utilize or to master any type of data analytics tools (eg. SQL or Python or Business Analytics tools) quickly, to be able to self-serve your own analyses
- Communicating clearly and logically – You are comfortable communicating with internal and external partners on challenging issues, whether in written format or at sprint planning with the team
- You have fresh ideas – You don’t accept the status quo, but are interested in solving problems in novel ways. You are able to communicate the impact of those ideas and formulate plans to implement them
Some extra skills that would be great (but not essential):
- You’ve got a connection with or experience working in the Middle East or Africa
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
Getting Started: Reviewing your Application
At this stage, our recruiter and hiring manager will be reviewing applications, alongside cover letters to narrow down the most excellent candidates based off your resume and answers to our application questions.
Pro tip: We ask application questions for a reason – because this company is on a mission and this role is about communication – so take this opportunity to show us who you are and why you’re a great fit! 📝 Please bear in mind when answering: customer impact is above everything for us.
1st Product Interview
A 60 minute call with one / two of our Product Managers from the Regional Expansion Team via Zoom.
- The team will intro you to Wise, their team and the role(s)
- Your motivation to join the Mission
- Your experience of shipping impactful products, utilising build – measure – learn, your quantitative approach
- Competency based questions & values fit, focused on our 4 core values
Take-Home Case Study
You’ll receive our take-home task alongside feedback within 2 days of your successful interview. We’d expect your take-home task back within 7 days. We aim to provide feedback to you within 3 working days.
About the case study:
- Our home task will give you the opportunity to try out what it’s like to work and solve problems at Wise
- It gives you the chance to show us your product skills and abilities to solve meaningful customer problems
2nd (Case Study) Product Interview
Your 2nd interview will be with Jonathan Smithers and/or another product lead from the regional team. The 60 minute interview will take place over Zoom and will be competency based.
- Taking your case study to deeper levels and challenge your product building thinking
- How would you put your findings into practice? How would you build the product? (drawing from your experience on how to solve a more complex problem)
- How would you convince the wider team what to iterate on?
Your final interview will be with Sharon Kean and another product lead from the team over Zoom. The interview will be 60 minutes long and will be a competency-based.
- Focusing on feedback you received from previous interviews
- Competency-based and scenario based questions around your past experience and expertise
- Providing you the opportunity to pick the minds of our leads and ask your questions to them
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.