Software Engineering Internship
We've got over 10 million customers worldwide and we're growing fast. We're on a mission - to build money without borders. Want to get involved? Join us as an intern this summer!
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new norm. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
We’re building a scalable, high performing platform for our customers. And we’re looking for Software Engineering interns to join us on our mission.
At Wise you’ll work on challenging technical problems across the full product life-cycle and you’ll build great products for our customers by contributing data-driven analysis and insights.
How you’ll contribute to our Engineering team:
- You’ll help us take Wise to the next level as we scale to impact millions more customers
- You’ll help your team build seamless experiences for our customers..
- You’ll work on the core flow of Wise and help guide our customers. From their first experience on our landing page, to completing a transfer, you’ll help make sure they’re informed every step of the way.
- Create clear and helpful interfaces, by understanding the challenges our customers may face along the way. This will be at the core of what you do.
- You’ll work on a real project. We can’t say what project yet, but your internship will be centred around this
The intern program will give you the opportunity to:
- Learn and develop professionally. You’ll work closely with your Wise team. You’ll learn by doing. And you’ll be guided and supported along the way
- Understand the Wise way through lots of opportunities to learn about our business and how it works
- Broaden your network. There are a LOT of experienced people here at Wise who are keen to share their experience and knowledge with you. They’ll want to learn from you and get your perspective on things too
- Choose your path to impact. We believe people do great things when they can act autonomously. So instead of being told what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. You can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise, but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different – so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things go back to normal) to work with our teams in different locations. You’ll also meet various partners and organisations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
- At the end of the internship you may have the chance to secure a graduate job.
What does it take?
- You are a penultimate year student studying a Bachelors or Masters degree. This might be in Computer Science (or any other STEM subject)
- You are available to start a full time graduate role in summer 2023
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms and software design
- A side project(s) that you are proud to present. This might be something you have self started, or a university project you are working on
- Curious, keen to learn and proactive by nature
- You thrive on being part of a team
- A positive can do attitude. You are always focussed on the solution once you understand the problem
- You are open to and value feedback in order to improve
- A basic knowledge in modern web technologies and a strong interest in web development.
- Motivation to become a developer with a product mindset (not just a coder)
- Eligible to work in the UK
…don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What you get back:
- 🚀 Experience working in one of the fastest growing European FinTechs
- 🏃♀️ Lots of team activities
- 📈 Solve real customer problems with data
- 🙌Fun offices with social activities – have a sneak peak of life in our London office!
- 🏝️ The potential of securing a graduate position for 2023
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
What the application process looks like:
We review applications to find candidates who are studying (or have studied) a relevant degree, have an interesting side hustle or university project AND have a clear motivation for wanting to work at TransferWise.
Pro tip: We ask application questions for a reason – because we are on a mission, and we want to find out if you can help us with it. Take this opportunity to show us who you are, and why you’re a great fit. Don’t forget to include the detail of your studies and projects on your CV.
Once through the initial application screen you’ll be sent a link to complete a HackerRank test. This is so we can find out more about your coding skills. You can have a look at the HackerRank site, read all about it and get practicing now.
Pro tip: Practice! We’re sure you can do it, but nerves can get the better of you. Have a few trial runs before you take the actual test on the link we sent you.
If you’re successful with the HackerRank test, we’ll send you through to the next round which is a video interview. We use a platform called HireVue, and you’ll complete a 5-question video assessment where you’ll get a chance to let us know who you are as a person.
Pro tip: Be clear with your examples. We don’t want vague! Give solid explanations to each answer, and use as much detail as possible to describe the situation. We want to know all about you and how you tick. Have a look at the documents we’ll send you to get an idea about our mission and culture. Find somewhere quiet, with brilliant WiFi (so you don’t get distracted). You’ll get a chance to practice before you begin for real – use this time to warm up and get into your flow.
Almost there! Once you’ve passed through the above stages, you’ll be asked to join our final round. This is a face to face (virtual) interview with someone in our Engineering team. They’ll want to test your technical knowledge, and how you work through problems. They’ll also want to find out more about why you want the role.
Pro tip: Be really clear about what you can bring to TransferWise, and what you want from the role. Be prepared to talk about a project you have been working on, and how it could impact the customer or end-user. Also consider how your university learnings could be applied to work at TransferWise.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.