We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to join our growing Legal Team in London. This role is a unique opportunity to help deliver Wise’s mission, grow as a lawyer in a fast-paced listed company environment and help millions more people save money.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency services.
Your mission is to support the legal and corporate activity within the Wise group to help take the business to the next level.
About the role:
- Build relationships with multiple business units across the Company and our UK and European markets to provide practical advice on a wide range of legal matters and strategic projects.
- Assist with corporate matters such as M&A transactions, group structuring and finance arrangements.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate commercial documents with strategic partners, banking and payments partners, outsourced service providers and suppliers.
- Deliver initiatives relating to governance within the group with help from Group Co Sec.
- Confidently Liaise with external counsel where required.
- Ensure our legal processes continue to be world-class and scalable.
- Work with the Legal Team (based predominantly in London, New York, Singapore and Estonia) to deliver initiatives that will impact the wider company.
- Report to Head of Corporate.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than being told what to do, you’ll take ownership from day one. Of course, you will have feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll experience unique levels of ownership and empowerment within your role.
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- UK qualified lawyer with 3 to 5 years PQE at a top-tier law firm.
- Demonstrable experience working on corporate or finance transactions.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial contract structuring, drafting, and negotiation.
- A knowledge of how fast growth companies work – how to balance between maturity in corporate governance and operations, and the practical considerations of fast growth and scaling.
- Have a track record in taking ownership of cross-functional projects and clear communication, including being able to focus people behind a common goal, ‘tell the story’ and make the complex simple.
- Have a get-it-done, collaborative approach to problem solving and an ability to seek creative, risk-based solutions for complex matters while maintaining attention to detail.
- Well-organised and able to manage and prioritise numerous projects simultaneously.
- Have professionalism and high integrity.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.