Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We are looking for an Engineering lead to join our Service Platform Core Team.
The mission and purpose of the SP Core team is to provide a compute platform for engineers to easily run and scale their services, while providing a standardised experience for running or hosting containers.
Currently we utilise AWS and Kubernetes to bring this mission to life.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
We provide the core hosting platform for Wise’s many microservices and shared application stacks, while abstracting the complexity of maintaining or integrating into these technologies.
We provide the right level of controls and access so that both platform and product teams can focus on scaling and improving our customer experience and journey.
We own and maintain multiple Kubernetes clusters that are hosted within multiple AWS environments and concerned with reliability, scale, performance and efficiency of these container ecosystems.
We support other teams both within and outside the platform tribe to best adopt these technologies and best practices.
Is this you?
- You have previous experience of leading and mentoring a team of engineers in a similar role
- You understand the value of balancing customer centric thinking and technical skills and can coach other engineers on both
- You’re comfortable and confident providing input to other teams’ priorities
- Wise is rapidly expanding so you know what it takes to keep pace with rapid business growth.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You have been involved in designing and operating business critical information systems, including 24/7 support
- Your role will be a combination of coaching and leading a talented team of engineers and doing hands-on contribution
- With a high level of autonomy, you’ll work closely with your engineers, to make both product and project decisions.
- Working with others in the platform and the broader engineering teams on a shared platform vision.
- Experience scaling and maintaining Kubernetes and container ecosystems in production environments and know your YAML from your JSONNET.
- You have proven experience running and provisioning production grade critical systems in a cloud native environment i.e AWS / Google with IAAS tools like Terraform or CDK.
- You have experience of microservices, you’ll know how distributed systems can fail, and how to architect them resiliently
- You can work fluently in a posix shell (Bash) and have decent coding chops in either Go, Java, or Python.
- You live and breathe automation and testing, everything you code is checked into version control which is automatically deployed once your tests have passed and your metrics/signals are green.
- Experience with Linux, preferably Debian based distros
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of Wise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
- You’ll be able to choose your own path to success. You’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen.
- You’ll be offered the flexibility to decide on how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different, so we’ll do our best to make it happen.
- You’ll get to inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- You can Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore – post Covid-19.
- A fun work environment with social activities and events.
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.