We’re looking for a Japan Expansion Lead to accelerate our expansion plans in Japan. This is an unique and exciting pioneering opportunity to grow Wise in the region, allowing millions more potential customers to save money by using our services.
This is not your typical business development or relationship role. Over time, you will have full responsibility for overseeing our financial services partnerships, figuring out a next level growth strategy and executing on it, and managing critical relationships with government departments, regulators and banking partners. Through your work, you will have the ability to directly influence our product capabilities in Japan.
What will you be doing?
- Identify the most appropriate way to grow Wise in Japan. For new licences, you will need to manage the process end-to-end: understand the regulations, prepare, coordinate and submit the application, and get the regulatory buy-in.
- Prepare and coordinate documents and applications (i.e. manuals, business plans, forecasts, contracts), as well as support the fulfillment of any other local requirements for the licence applications.
- Work with the product team for new product launches, potential product changes and new features in the market that would have the biggest impact for our customers. You will be one of the product team’s go-to people for regulatory knowledge, and will lead the early stages of setting the team up with the new product features.
- Overtime, you will build and maintain partnerships with financial institutions (banks, payment companies, card schemes) in Japan and other APAC countries if you want. You will lead commercial negotiations, pitch Wise as a client, complete due diligence processes, maintain strong and active relationships with partners, and ensure the technical teams have what they need to integrate with the partners.
- Together with the compliance team, understand existing and new regulations, figuring out the best way in which our product and setup are compliant with them. We see regulation as an opportunity, and we want you to help us achieve that vision!
- Manage the relationship with regulators and other important non-commercial relationships, such as with government departments.
A bit about you:
- Must be a Japanese native speaker residing in Japan and fluent in English.
- Experience in regulation, licensing or payments in a fast paced professional environment.
- At least 5-8 years of working experience
- Able to get stuff done. Not afraid to get your hands dirty to deliver what is needed. Bonus points if you have completed a license application or regulatory compliance experience in a highly regulated industry in the past.
- Experience of building business relationships with financial institutions, and dealing with risk/compliance teams within these institutions.
- Able to understand financial, payments and FX regulations in a changing regulatory environment in APAC and have an interest in AML/KYC and risk controls.
- An analytical thinker. You have the ability to figure out the ideal operational and commercial process with every new country / partner
- Excellent at managing external relationships (regulators and financial institutions)
- Able to understand regulations across various jurisdictions, and make pragmatic, risk-based decisions on how these need to be implemented
- Happy to work independently
- Willing to help others
- Willing to learn
- Passionate about transforming the financial industry for good
- You are willing to travel to our global offices as needed
- Early market product evolution – Identify the most appropriate way to launch current and future Wise products in Japan, then roll up your sleeves and make it happen.
- Manage end-to-end licensing process – If we need a licence, you will need to execute the process end-to-end: understand the regulations, do the application and get the regulatory buy-in.
- Financial services partnerships – Build and maintain relationships with financial institutions (banks, payment companies, card schemes) and lead commercial negotiations to drive down costs. You will monitor our economics to ensure that our service is competitive; if needed, onboard new Financial Institution partners.
- Understanding how our product works will be key to finding these new opportunities.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and the responsibility for making it happen
- Gain international exposure – you will work with our teams in offices around the world as well as meet with regulators and partners across APAC
- Be a part of starting something new by helping launch new Wise products
We’re people without borders — and without prejudice too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
A bit about Wise:
Since 2011, we’ve had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
At Wise, you’ll be joining a movement of people who believe in a better, fairer, more transparent way of moving money around the world. You’ll collaborate to do your best work and take on problems that no one has looked at before.
If you’re keen to learn, grow, try new things and aren’t afraid of a bold plan, you’ll fit right in.
How we work:
At Wise our strategy emerges from the collective brainpower of all our people, who are organised in dozens of independent, autonomous teams. Teams stay closest to our customers, so they choose what problems to solve and where to spend the most time.
You’ll experience radical levels of ownership and empowerment within your role. Plus the opportunity to see the direct impact of your work on our customers.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tokyo office
From ancient temples to towering skyscrapers, Tokyo dazzles with its mix of traditional culture and passion for everything new.