Wise is on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
More about the Product
The Wise card is a key part of the borderless proposition, it is responsible for the “spend” part of the general vision. Card issuing is the best way to let customers spend their money in the modern world, but we should keep in mind that physical debit cards are only one of a possible solution to spending problems. Tomorrow it could be virtual cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, QR codes, mobile payments, or something else that is not yet invented. Our mission statement for the Spend & Cards tribe is: Give our customers reliable, easy to use and eventually free way to pay from borderless accounts everywhere in the world.
More about the Team
As the Engineering Lead of the Card Issuance team you’ll be heavily involved in the development life-cycle of the solutions, from design to coding and testing. Communication and people management plays a big role in this position, too. This means coaching your team, helping them overcome blockers in their work and ensuring a healthy culture for your teams.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Designing complex systems in a microservices architecture
- Ability to read and write frontend
- Hiring and interviewing engineers for the team
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have worked with microservices architecture
- Experience working with an in-house payment processor
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- 🚀 Stock options in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🍎 Daily free breakfast, weekly lunch and lots of snacks
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and board-game nights
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🎉 An annual, all-expenses-paid company trip, Summer Days
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our Singapore office.
You’ll get to join one of our coolest office locations, while receiving a competitive package – including a salary within the range of 165-220k SGD (depending on experience & skills proven during selection), and generous stock options, amongst many other benefits.
Interested? Find out more:
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Singapore office
Wise is located in Paya Lebar — a bustling intersection between the colourful historic neighbourhoods of Geylang and Joo Chiat.