Senior Product Manager – Japan/South Korea
We’re looking for a Senior Product Manager to join our growing Regional Expansion - Asia team working from our Tokyo/Singapore/Seoul office. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product person and help save millions for our customers in Japan and around the world.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Every month, we move millions of Yen to and from Japan for our customers. Your mission is to make sending, spending, and receiving money in the country convenient, instant, and close to free – as well as finding ways to reach the potential customers we’re not yet helping. You’ll also be developing our product in South Korea, and expanding the product offering in this market.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing:
- You’ll take ownership of our products in Japan and South Korea – including how we grow our presence in the markets, expand our product offerings, and improve the existing products to better serve our customers.
- Your primary job will be to deeply understand customer needs, translate this to solutions, and then work with the wider product team to execute the solutions.
- However, the scope of a regional expansion PM is broad and you’ll own the product end to end. For example, you’ll need to actively control how your products influence operational workload, understand the regulatory environments they operate in, control for financial crime risks, and so on.
- You won’t be limited to this scope – if the biggest opportunities you see are outside your day-to-day scope, you’re empowered to focus the team on these opportunities.
- To achieve this our mission requires a team, and one of the key aspects of the job will be to align the wider team on what we need to build in Japan and South Korea. You’ll work closely with the developers on your team, but also with our commercial banking team to build partner relationships, various operational teams, our finance team, our compliance and risk teams, and others.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Directly contribute to our mission to make money without borders the new normal – you will need to figure out how we can get to our mission of 100% transfers being instant faster
- Build world-class products: The role is a unique opportunity to build state-of-the-art products focusing on expanding the Wise offering in Japan and South Korea specifically
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader – You will build and inspire your own team, but also other teams to contribute to our mission
A bit about you:
- Making decisions, framing problems, and providing direction – You can differentiate the signal from the noise, break problems into their components, and align groups on what’s truly important
- You have fresh ideas – You don’t accept the status quo, but are interested in solving problems in novel ways. You are able to communicate the impact of those ideas and formulate plans to implement them
- Communicating clearly and logically – Your communication style is laser clear, succinct, and professional
- You’re data-informed – You are able to dive into data to identify opportunities and then measure your impact. You prioritise the value you can add to customers, and can get the entire company behind you by telling stories with data.
- You are curious and actively reflect – None of us have a perfect skillset, but you’re continuously conscious of what you’d like to learn next and curious enough to follow through
- You are fluent in Japanese or a native Japanese speaker
Some extra skills that would be great (but not essential):
- Prior experience in banking, payments, finance, or a related field
- Expertise in designing digital customer experiences
- More than two years of IT related experience. (Develop, manage or IT security)
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Seoul office
A huge metropolis with modern skyscrapers, high-tech subways and pop culture.