Wise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission — money without borders — instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We’ve built a market-leading technology product that’s been used by over 5 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We’re disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region. You will help to shape the future of Wise in North America.
As part of this role, you will work with the NorthAm team to support them in understanding risks they are facing with the product in the region and how to mitigate those risks, while they seek new opportunities to grow the business. The role will also be part of a wider group of risk experts dotted around the world, meaning there is great opportunity to support the growth of risk management across the company.
What will you be doing?
- Deploy the company risk management approach in the US and Canada. You will ensure we have mapped all our processes and completed the internal risk assessments, and work closely with the US Product and Operational teams to promote creative solutions on how we can effectively mitigate the identified risks in the entity.
- You will be responsible for the design and roll out of all the risk management policies for North America, starting by the US entity, considering financial and non-financial risks. This means you will be responsible for drafting new policies, reviewing and updating existing policies, and ensuring these policies are maintained on an ongoing basis according to local regulation and company level standards.
- You will implement monitoring procedures to guarantee adherence to group risk policies and share findings with relevant members in the US and in the Group Risk Team.
- You will provide recommendations and track actions for improving adherence with these policies. This will require close collaboration across various teams both in the US as well as in the rest of Wise. You will report material findings to senior management within Wise.
- You will help embed a good risk culture in the business in the US, promoting risk awareness, in line with the three lines of defence model. Where necessary, you will coordinate and/or conduct training for relevant Wisers.
- Where relevant, you will take part in the relationship with the regulators and senior management to communicate our risk position and risk management approach.
- You will act as a liaison between other internal control teams and external parties for the purpose of audits and monitoring engagements.
This role would suit someone who has:
- At least 5 years experience in mid-senior level risk management and working in an international setting.
- Experience in aligning to the other key risks across the risk taxonomy, including operational, financial and strategic risk as well as intersecting risks.
- Good understanding of systems, management information, and reporting systems.
- Ability to represent Wise US in a professional manner to all internal (e.g. management) and external (e.g. regulatory authorities) stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of second line of defence independence and challenge/ escalation where concerns are felt.
- Understanding of risk and regulations in the US, and know how to translate that regulation into risk management practices.
- Effective in change impact, liaison with other functions.
- Able to get stuff done – we’re a fast growing company and you will need an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive.
- Can work independently and flexibly within a fast-moving environment.
It would be ideal, but not essential if you:
- Have 5-10 years’ experience in business and risk with a deep enterprise risk knowledge base;
- Have specific experience in risk strategy and enterprise risk practice whilst also able to build 2nd line methodologies for monitoring and reporting on business risk management;
- Meaningful experience working with external third parties, e.g., regulators, rating agencies, banks, external auditors, consulting firms.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tampa office
In the centre of the Sunshine State, you can find our Tampa office, surrounded by theme parks, entertainment spots and sports galore.