Since 2011, Wise has had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for a Compliance Lead – South East Asia to strengthen our compliance team. Based in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, you will work with our growing team of multidisciplinary specialists (Product, Treasury, Wise Platform, Financial Crime) to help build world class products in East Asia, including Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Philippines. You’ll also manage and strengthen the teams’ relationships with regulators, keeping everybody informed and protecting our most valuable asset – our customers.
This role is located in Singapore
- Improve the compliance product in line with our mission to be instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free.
- Oversee a team of compliance officers across Jakarta, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and individually contribute to the maintenance of regulatory licences in South East Asia: (i) regulatory reporting and filing, (ii) regulatory liaison and (iii) policy development. This means you may be individually responsible for one or more licences, alongside supporting a team who are individually responsible for licences.
- Build trust with our regulators and have a deep understanding of their needs to: challenge, support and encourage the development of meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events.
- Confidence to work with multiple regulators to adapt regulatory interpretation that applies to our industry.
- Challenge, support and encourage the development of a team that maintains compliance frameworks, policies and documentation.
- Constantly consider the potential customer impact and risks to the organisation and craft solutions to address these. Identify opportunities for the wider team to solve problems.
- Empower teams to build risk based processes which are clearly documented and consistent with policies.
- Work with Oversight to report on management information (MI) that enables the Board to be aware of key risks, and develop the compliance framework to align cross-region.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop and grow a team of high performing Compliance Officers who understand the mission and the role compliance plays in achieving money without borders.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Wise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them understand the regulatory framework and bring together the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product developments and new initiatives by horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments and sharing these with the teams.
A bit about you:
If you have a background in payments or other financial regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation, then this role could be perfect for you!
- Theory. You are an expert in compliance and may be currently working, have worked, or work directly with regulators such as the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
- Practice. You have demonstrable experience designing and challenging processes, ideally across multiple products and multiple markets. You have thought deeply about the Wise mission and how it intersects with compliance.
- Passion. You get a kick out improving current practices and processes and can apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks.
- Get the job done. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, prioritising, taking responsibility and working to tight deadlines. You adapt your focus on different compliance issues depending on growth plans and compliance needs.
- Detail. You have meticulous attention to detail and if you’ve skimmed through without reading this bullet point, I’m sure a bank would love to have you.
- Development. You provide clear and constructive feedback and challenge your team, tribe, Boards and other teams.
- Location. The role is located in Singapore. Must be willing to travel, subject to government regulations.
A bit about Wise:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Singapore office
Wise is located in Paya Lebar — a bustling intersection between the colourful historic neighbourhoods of Geylang and Joo Chiat.