Since 2011, Wise has had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for a senior Compliance Officer – Japan to strengthen our compliance team. Based in Tokyo or Singapore, you will work with a growing team of multidisciplinary specialists (Product, Treasury, Bank Product, Security, Verification, AML, Wise Platform) to help build world class products for Japan. You’ll also manage and strengthen the teams’ relationships with regulators by being the Regulator’s first point of contact, keeping everybody informed and protecting our most valuable asset – our customers.
This role is located in Tokyo or Singapore
- Improve the compliance product in line with our mission to be instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free.
- Maintain our licences for Japan: (i) regulatory reporting and filing, (ii) regulatory liaison and (iii) leading audits with the regulator.
- Build trust with our regulator: manage and coordinate meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events.
- Keep up to date with regulatory change and provide input to government policy departments on the impact of proposed changes in regulation.
- Maintain compliance frameworks, policies and documentation and support in audits.
- Develop systems to track and monitor our compliance risk, compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- Work with teams from different countries to educate them about Japanese regulatory requirements, and empower teams to build risk based processes which are clearly documented. Identify areas where we can improve risk management to allow us to achieve more with our product.
- Scrutinise and test compliance programs, including quality assurance, interpret findings and work with Operational teams to develop our risk based approach, provide constructive feedback and be responsible for resolutions, including addressing any audit findings.
- Adapt your focus on different compliance issues in line with growth plans and compliance needs.
- Work with global Product and Operational teams around the world, and travel to our operational offices on a quarterly basis (subject to travel regulations).
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Wise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them interpret the regulatory framework and prepare the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product developments and new initiatives by horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments and sharing these with the teams.
A bit about you:
If you have a background in payments or other financial regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation, then this role could be perfect for you!
- Theory. You are an expert in AML or regulatory compliance and may be currently working, have worked, or work directly with the Japan Financial Services Agency or Kanto Local Finance Bureau.
- Regulatory knowledge. You have a good working knowledge of Japanese regulations such as the ‘Prevention of Transfer of Criminal Proceeds Act’, ‘Payment Service Act’ and ‘Forex Act’ (資金決済法、外為法、国調法、犯収法など).
- Communication. You are bilingual and have high fluency in both Japanese and English. You can use this ability to interpret and translate regulations and policies in Japanese and English and regular communication with people from all teams (for example Engineering, Product, Operations and Compliance).
- Practice. Ability to challenge the status quo and work across multiple products to help Wise on its mission to make moving money: instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free.
- Get the job done. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, to multitask and prioritise, be accountable and work to tight deadlines.
- Passion. You get a kick out improving current practices and processes and can apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks.
- Development. You’ve considered the challenges and development opportunities of working at a fast growing scale-up and are looking to get into FinTech or payments compliance. Here’s a taster of what it’s like working at Wise.
- Location. Must be willing to travel subject to regulations.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Lots of awesome Wise benefits
Please make sure your applications are submitted in English, as this is our working language.
We’re people without borders — and without prejudice too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Singapore office
Wise is located in Paya Lebar — a bustling intersection between the colourful historic neighbourhoods of Geylang and Joo Chiat.