Wise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission — money without borders — instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We’ve built a market-leading technology product that’s been used by over 5 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We’re disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region. You will help to shape the future of Wise across the Group.
The Risk Governance Lead will help with the Group Risk function’s governance requirements. The role sits in the second line of defence and reports to the Global Head of Risk Management in the UK.
What will you be doing?
Risk Management Policies
- Ensuring that there is appropriate review, update and approval of policies owned by Risk Management (2LOD), ensuring these continue to meet business, stakeholder and regulatory expectations.
- Helping to draft policies where gaps are identified, socialising as appropriate internally and seeing through to committee approval and implementation..
- Engaging with regional Risk teams in respect of new policy development and/or amendments that require their engagement, agreement and execution, also monitoring its adequacy to regional requirements
- Own and maintain the Enterprise Risk Methodology and Framework Policies, utilised for risk calculations across the company and determine the governance protocols for risk escalations
- Ensuring that there is appropriate review, update, maintenance and approval of risk management frameworks across the organisation.
- Drafting of frameworks where gaps are identified, socialising as appropriate internally and seeing through to committee approval and implementation.
- Managing the risk taxonomy reviews and the framework for risk and control self assessment, regional assessments, and internal controls testing performed by 1st and 2nd LoDs.
- Overseeing the annual review process for the Group Risk Appetite and KRIs and ensuring the appetites are scalable to the business structure and risk philosophy of Wise.
- Drive and oversee the assessing, analysis, validation, and completion of Risk Assessments within the centralised Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) Tool.
- Ensuring that the logistics of risk assessments and reporting are fit for purpose and timely, aligning to committee schedules and business requirements.
- Overseeing efficient and consistent reporting of Incidents including Near Misses.
- Championing a program of work to continuously improve/evolve risk reporting in order to enhance risk maturity and value-add hence enabling risk informed decision making and regulatory compliance.
- Assisting risk/control owners , product managers, risk leads, regional risk officers and wider parts of the group in correctly utilising the GRC tooling in their risk assessing.
- Helping to track and deliver progress against the Risk Management programme adoption, execution, and remediation milestones.
- Monitoring the output of internal audit and 2nd LOD oversight functions and coordinating any inputs needed from Group Risk in the matters or issue/incident remediation plans that impact standing risk exposures.
- Ensuring that the Group Risk is appropriately complying with regulations applicable to 2LOD risk teams and that the function operates suitable systems and controls.
- Keeping up to date with industry developments and regulations relating to risk governance.
- Develop and implement risk training across the organisation.
- Liaise with the regional risk functions as necessary.
This role would suit someone who has:
- Experience in mid-senior level risk management and working in an international setting.
- Experience with GRC Tooling and other technological means to measure risk positions and provide actionable risk analysis reporting to senior leadership
- Experience in aligning to the other key risks across the risk taxonomy, including operational, financial and strategic risk as well as intersecting risks.
- Good understanding of systems, management information, and reporting systems.
- Demonstrated track record of second line of defence independence and challenge/ escalation where concerns are felt.
- Effective in change impact, liaison with other functions.
- Able to get stuff done – we’re a fast growing company and you will need an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive.
- Can work independently and flexibly within a fast-moving environment.
- Experience in building a team.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.