A bit about Wise:
Wise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission — money without borders — instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We’ve built a market-leading technology product that’s been used by over 13 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We’re disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region.
You will help to shape the future of Wise in Latin America, and in particular in Brazil, where we have a vibrant office and thriving business.
About the job:
You’ll undertake a wide range of legal matters relating to our day to day and strategic initiatives. In particular you’ll be:
- Supporting the growth plans from different business teams in LatAM, including the launch of new products and features in the region.
- From our office in Sao Paulo, working closely and building relationships with multiple business units across LatAM to advise on a wide range of legal matters and ad hoc problems as they arise, including financial regulation and consumer protection, payments, banking, cryptocurrency, marketing standards and partnerships.
- Working with other members of the legal team and outside counsel to manage local litigation and regulatory dispute matters, and address legal issues in various areas of the law, including consumer litigation, and asset recovery;
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements with bank partners, API users and enterprise customers and reflecting our operating structure into clear terms for our customers;
- Mentoring and upskilling the business teams, making life simple and easy for them;
- Understanding the real risks to the business and advising on the operational impact and practicalities of those risks;
- Reviewing current practices and developing and maintaining templates;
- Streamlining processes and structuring tasks related to legal matters in LatAM, with a focus on Brazil;
- Staying up to date on legal developments in LatAM and advising on future-looking initiatives;
- Working with the Legal Team to support the wider needs of the company, for example training and workshops.
We’re looking for someone passionate about payments, fintech or finance and with an eye on the future. You’ll have:
- Previous law firm or in-house experience, focusing on payments, card processing, financial service, banking or investments;
- Able to practise law in Brazil;
- Proven aptitude for commercial contract structuring, drafting, and negotiation;
- Strong interest and experience in financial services regulation including payments, consumer protection, banking and investments;
- A broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in upcoming product offerings (e.g., regulatory, contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, risk); and an ability to distill complexity and to identify and clearly communicate practical, risk-based solutions;
- A focus on impact, through trusted relationships and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, evaluate and manage litigation and disputes resolution proceedings;
- Clear communication, project coordination, and management skills, including for partner relations;
- A sense of camaraderie and good humor while under pressure or tight deadlines;
- Speak English and Portuguese fluently, and maybe Spanish or other languages too;
- Wisdom, a world view and talent for thinking outside the box;
- Professionalism and high integrity.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary and generous stock options package
- Lots of awesome Wise benefits
- Stock options as a part of compensation package;
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing;
- Wellbeing support – you and your family have access to an Employee Assistance Program, where you’ll be able to speak to qualified counselors on anything that matters to you;
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background.
Qualifications, as well as where and what you studied aren’t that important to us. It also doesn’t matter if you’ve just finished university or you’re close to your retirement. If you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
We pride ourselves on our transparency so we will let you know promptly where you stand with your application. If you reach our final stage interviews but are not successful this time round, we will also provide you with verbal feedback.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our São Paulo office
The concrete jungle of São Paulo is a vibrant metropolis like no other.