Wise is helping to build a new world – a world without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we are the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
As we continue to scale and mature our Finance team, we’re on the hunt for an experienced Accounting professional to join us in Tallinn. As Head of Operational Accounting, you will contribute to our mission by ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of publicly listed financial services company accounting.
- Lead and oversee Wise’s operational accounting function, currently 23 people across internal accounting, payments team, accounts payables team and period-end closing accounting (and growing!).
- Lead the execution of accurate and timely completion of the month end reporting process, meeting the Group’s close deadline and improving month end process. Coordinate the processing of accounting journals across a diverse range of commercial activities within a multi-company group structure, managing team resources and prioritising own responsibilities to deliver excellent financial support to the business.
- Work cross functionally with various teams in and outside Finance to automate manual accounting processes and reporting to ensure efficient and accurate flow of information between teams.
- Own the balance sheet substantiation process, organising the delivery of various team members to meet the Group’s deadline. Ensure the reconciliations are prepared in accordance with the Group’s policy. Manage the unreconciled differences, driving change to ensure timely resolution.
- Promote and build strong relationships with teams across Wise and to ensure the delivery and improvement of the Finance function to further enhance internal and external reporting.
- Develop, coach and grow your teams , including all aspects of performance and talent management, conduct, appraisals, HR administration and hiring.
- Scale and elevate accounting with appropriate people, systems, and processes that will build a scalable organisation and drive business growth efficiently.
- Promote effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including Outsources, External Auditors and other key suppliers.
- Work as part of a cross-functional leads group on topics like Finance strategy, projects and priorities. .
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Own your own path to success – You’ll have a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge in accounting – Challenge your technical skills, knowledge and abilities in a wide variety of accounting areas
- Inspire teams with your ideas, strategy, knowledge and self-starting attitude
- Grow with the role – You will have the opportunity to develop your leadership skills as the business and Finance function grows in complexity.
- Theory – You have a professional finance qualification such as the ACA, ACCA, CPA or equivalent with proven post qualification experience. You have a thorough knowledge of IFRS.
- Practice – You have significant prior experience as an Accounting Manager, Chief Accountant or Audit Manager. You have deep knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations.
- Ownership – You work independently, assume responsibility and make your own judgements. Be prepared to take ownership over complex new areas and solve problems with minimal guidance.
- Love getting things done – You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and take responsibility to do whatever needs doing to solve problems.
- Collaborative and Influencing Skills – You work well in an international team environment, and know how to have an impact through others. You have partnered with a complex internal and external stakeholder group and have strong communication skills.
- Development – You are keen to learn and develop your knowledge of how a FinTech and fast growing scale-up operates.
- Travel – you’re happy to occasionally travel internationally to other Wise offices (e.g. London) or for team offsites
Extra experience that would be great:
- Relevant industry experience (fin tech or financial services)
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.