Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal.
We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Business Send
The Business Send team is a distributed team with people split across London and Tallinn, with a few fully remote engineers in other locations in the mix. The team owns the experience of our business customers sending money with Wise, whether that be through our apps or website, through dedicated business payroll tools or our API. Our mission is to make money move around the world instantly, transparently, conveniently and eventually for free. We are busy building the best money transfer experience in the world.
A small businesses owner might set out to sell a product or offer a service that is fuelled by passion, to build a family business, or scale up from a side-hustle. It’s a scary prospect for most as they apply their creativity, money, perseverance and commitment to try and create something that they can be proud of.
Money is the lifeblood of their business. Their cash flow and working capital can make or break their business, no matter how good their products or services are. However, money management is often not where their interest or talent lies. As businesses go global, they find that they are underserved by existing solutions just like consumers are. Cross-border finance is expensive, slow and opaque.
We are building a new set of financial rails for the world to run on. The Business Send team builds the money transfer experience for businesses using these rails that save them time, money and headache. As part of the team, you would work with your team on one of the fastest growing segments of Wise, understanding customer needs, designing, building, learning and iterating on products that solve cross-border transfer needs of our business corporates – from small mom & pop businesses to large tech companies like Stripe.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for your team’s overall health and productivity
- Helping your team make data-driven decisions by providing feedback on architecture and approach
- Fostering an environment of autonomy where everyone is encouraged to identify and prioritise customer problems and opportunities.
- Rolling your sleeves up and being involved in the entire process. Working closely with the team’s product manager and designer to ensure the team is focusing on the right things
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole.
- Working together with other product and regional teams at Wise to achieve goals together
Is this you?
- You’re passionate about building high quality products, working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- You have experience in leading, coaching and mentoring driven individuals
- You enable your team to solve complex problems by helping to break them down into small iterative steps of incremental value
- You’ve built and designed scalable and well-performing systems
- You have experience in designing, deploying and maintaining clean RESTful APIs
- You have experience with microservices architecture, asynchronous message queues and SQL databases.
- You’ve worked with Java, preferably with Spring Boot
- You have an understanding of the challenges engineers building and maintaining web and mobile applications face
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product has on their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product that impacts tens of millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and execution together with the team
- The freedom to have real impact – engineers and leads at Wise are trusted with a high degree of autonomy, you’re not a cog in the machine.
- The opportunity to inspire teams
Some of our benefits:
- 🚀 RSU's in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🚀Annual Summer Days festival
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.