The Global Head of Product Compliance is a strong leader and compliance subject matter expert across risk (e.g. finance, treasury, capital requirements), regulation, financial crime, and other domains. They are responsible for creating a comprehensive strategy to deliver products and processes that put our customers first within the constraints of the risks surrounding the payments industry, our products, and the requirements set to us by regulations and partners. They are also a domain leader, active in the market externally and able to communicate with all teams – from growth to 2nd line of defence compliance to audit to operations. Has both a risk and commercial mindset on how to both manage risks and attract new customers.
Builds a 1st line compliance team that aids product and operational teams in building and operating the product compliantly. Supports the existing leads, and builds out new control functions for any of these sub domains. This includes, but is not limited to, capital requirements, treasury, financial reporting, regulatory reporting, ICARA requirements, financial crime controls and others.
Helps scale the team to think beyond the existing products and services Wise offers, to ensure there are trusted compliance professionals to help launch new products and deal with future risks. Team leader that is able to build a team of 50+ product compliance professionals, leading leads and developing competency maps and frameworks to help the professional growth of the team.
Collaboration with product, operations & 2nd line of defence:
Looks after the strategic development of the product compliance function as a trusted advisor and consultant to all areas of Wise beyond its existing focus today.. Has experience and a background in dealing with regulators globally and going through large scale regulatory reviews, new licence or product launches, and as required supporting the acquisition of new licenses and partnerships to enable growth.
Collaborates closely with the Product Leads and Directors, all Operational Heads, the Chief Compliance Officer, and the Head of Internal Audit to ensure consistent visibility, collaboration and ensure we are compliant in our processes and product offerings globally.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ultimately responsible for building an organisation across functions which is capable of proactively identifying and mitigating risk in the first-line teams globally, across all domains and escalating to 2LOD, 3LOD when appropriate
- Identifying new risks at Wise (e.g. capital requirements, financial reporting obligations) and working with product and operations to mitigate these risks.
- Address risk-related themes by working across product engineering, compliance, and operations to prioritise, either directly or through influencing organisation structure and process changes.
- Identifies emerging issues and risks and ensures that this is factored into all growth plans and can be explainable to auditors, internally or externally
- Acts as a key representative at all Risk Committees and group board meetings.
- Help leads ensure controls are built in the first line. Guides decisions on the trade-offs between growth and risk, and is accountable for ensuring the risk profile in the first line is within appetite.
- Builds knowledge and capacity across the organisation. Ensures that knowledge from first line teams on specific subject matter areas is systematically transferred to second line teams, such that second line teams are able to evaluate and explain our controls.
- Grows leadership within the product compliance area and support existing leads with hiring
- Work with the existing product compliance leads to ensure there are no ownership gaps. Equally, ensures that there’s no duplication of work across both product compliance teams.
- Works with 2LOD to ensure there is the right representation from the 1st line in global audits, that the audits have the accurate information about controls and that audit remediation plans are in place and not delayed
- Builds up the team structure and establish strategies on hiring, onboarding, performance management, competency and compensation maps, etc.
- Lead or sit on Wise’s risk committees and build them into more valuable exercises.
- Holds PC teams accountable to be able to balance and represent the needs of all first line teams including risk, growth, capacity, and customer experience.
- Excellent verbal & written English. You are proactive, clear, concise, and comfortable speaking publicly.
- Subject-matter expertise in a variety compliance related topics, with experience across regulatory and financial crime compliance. This may include things like ICARA, capital requirements, financial reporting, safeguarding, customer notification and complaints, license permissions, AML and/or KYC.
- Regulatory experience in any of the following markets: UK, US, EU, APAC
- Experience in presenting at board level meetings
- Experience in dealing with large scale global audits or regulatory reviews (e.g. Section 166s, Cease & Desist letters, Regulatory monitors and inspections)
- Management experience, managing a regulated financial institution’s compliance programme
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable speaking externally about compliance prevention topics
- Previous experience in team leadership, minimum of 10 years.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Experience communicating complex information accurately, clearly, and quickly to all levels of management, regulators, auditors, and third parties.
- Experience completing time‐sensitive analysis of financial activities across multiple jurisdictions and countries.
- Proven track record of taking individual ownership and responsibilities as well as being a great team-player.
- Extremely strong analytical ability. Able to use data to analyse, forecast and hold teams to account via their metrics.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a complex organisation, across multiple cultures, geographies, and disciplines.
- Project management skills and capability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Experience with project management tools and familiarity with business analytics tools like JIRA, Confluence, or Looker.
- Able to understand on a high level how software is built.
London, Singapore, New York, Tallinn, Budapest, Tampa or Austin
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Austin office
Home to beautiful outdoor spaces, this eclectic metropolis is vibrant and bursting with endless opportunities.