Wise is a global technology company, building the best way to move money around the world. Our mission is money without borders – instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free. Originally TransferWise, we are one of the world’s fastest growing tech companies having raised over $1 billion in primary and secondary transactions from world leading investors.
Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We’re just over 10 years old, and already have over 2400 employees across 15 countries. In July 2021 Wise listed on the London Stock Exchange and reported £421m in Revenue from 6m active customers.
Main Purpose & Duties of the Role
The Non-executive director (NED) will work alongside executive directors to objectively oversee the management of our Australian entity.
As an NED you will be required to:
- Provide effective and entrepreneurial leadership.
- Objectively scrutinise operational, financial and risk management performance.
- Ensure that the company’s obligations towards stakeholders are met.
- Constructively challenge proposals.
- Provide strategic direction.
- Be able to advise the company through periods of change and demonstrate a thorough understanding and appreciation of the issues facing a complex and developing organisation in a changing environment.
Experience, Background and specific Competencies
You must have the following:
- Experience of operating at a senior level, preferably as a NED or executive director, in a financial services organisation.
- Knowledge of governance and the role of boards.
- Solid understanding of the regulatory environment in Australia.
- Extensive experience in AML/Compliance/FinCrime/Risk, gained within Financial Services.
- Strong business acumen.
- Able to analyse and interpret complex data.
- Ability to apply judgement and resilience, to lead and participate in making difficult evidence-based decisions.
- Strong communication skills
As an NED you must be able to attend quarterly board meetings and ad-hoc meetings as required. For further information please contact Tom Horsfield, Leadership recruiter @ Wise [email protected].
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Melbourne office
Help fuel the revolution down under in the stunning Melbourne sunshine. BYO surfboard.