People and businesses all over the world use Wise to avoid big bank fees and slow international wires when they send, spend, and receive money abroad. We have over 12 million customers who move £6 billion every month with us. We help them save £3 million in bank fees every day.
Our payment connections with banks, payment systems and other providers determine the quality of our product and a large part of its economics. And our relationships with regulators, governments and payment systems are crucial too. So, we’re on the hunt for an executor with a brilliant mind and strong communication skills to help more customers save money with us.
Define and lead our payment infrastructure in Europe and the U.K. In Wise, we are building the best infrastructure to move money internationally, so you’ll:
- Understand and help other teams understand in detail the existing and planned payments infrastructure in Europe and the U.K., and how we should use it to provide the best cross-border payments services to our customers. For example, have in-depth knowledge about what are the different payment systems available in these markets and how we can achieve a direct connection to those.
- In this role, you will focus on how these payment systems work and how Wise uses them (as direct participants or via banks): SEPA, Target-2, CHAPS, U.K. Faster Payments, SWIFT and other ACH/RTGS payment systems
Build, maintain and improve Wise’s payment provider partnerships in Europe for Wise to build the best ways to send, receive and spend money for our customers all over the world. This refers primarily to our transaction banking agreements, with commercial banks as well as central banks in some cases, which let us build and expand our product, and you’ll have a high level of autonomy in optimising these. You will:
- Lead commercial and relationship discussions with banks and other payment service providers and monitor our economics to ensure we offer the most sustainable and competitive service in the market.
- Create new opportunities by working closely with our existing payment service providers to ensure we continuously improve our product (i.e. increase speed, reduce costs, add more visibility to our transactions, etc.).
- Manage an end-to-end process: find the right potential partners, pitch Wise as a client, negotiate the commercial agreements and contracts, complete account opening forms, explain our compliance processes, pass due diligence, and do anything else needed to be ready for development.
- Work with our compliance teams, grow regulatory knowledge to ensure our partnerships and processes are fully compliant
Working with the Product Leads, help define the opportunities and direction for our payment products in Europe. Collaborate across teams and inspire others so that we deliver the best solution.
- Work closely with product teams (Product Managers and Product Engineers) to develop our vision and build better products and experiences for our customers. Your contribution will mainly be from the payments infrastructure, commercial relationships, regulatory and operational banking partnerships point of view.
- Work with our Compliance and Government Relations teams in managing our relationships with regulators and other important non-commercial relationships, such as the government.
- Work with our global teams (Product, Finance, Treasury, etc.) to ensure our customers and products are at the center of our mission.
This role would suit someone who:
- Can add practical and operational expertise to commercial payment partnerships – with a focus on SWIFT, SEPA and other payment systems
- Has experience in building bank partnerships involving correspondent banking and/or SWIFT based integrations, both from the commercial side as well as the implementation side
- Can innovate and build new payment solutions that have never existed before. You will need to come up with ideas where no process exists as well as convince people internally and externally that it can work.
- Is happy to go into (sometimes deep, technical) detail where needed – this could be reading legal contracts, understanding specific payment regulation or looking at payment data to optimize payment routing
- Is able to independently negotiate the most ideal terms with a clear product vision and understanding in mind and you can figure out the ideal operational and commercial process with every new partner
- Is excellent at managing commercial relationships with a focus on payments, constantly creating opportunities to improve them
- Is able to get stuff done. Not afraid to get hands dirty to deliver what is needed – we’re a fast growing company and you will need an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive. You will need to be happy building complex partnerships one day whilst at the same time also balancing more basic day to day tasks such as form-filling and partner due diligence.
- Familiar with how corporate banks and financial institutions work and their decision makers. You’re excellent at managing those relationships and are constantly creating opportunities to improve them.
- Happy to work independently and flexibly within a fast-moving environment. You will need to be happy to travel to other European offices or to build better partner relationships when needed (where possible)
- Passionate about transforming the financial industry for good.
It would be ideal, but not essential if you:
- Have experience of managing partner bank relationships covering payments
- Have worked with payment systems or central banks before
- You have experience both from a traditional financial institution as well as a working in a fast growing (financial) technology environment
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.