This role does not require the candidate to be legally qualified, but we expect to be able to engage comfortably with legal and regulatory analysis
This is not a remote role. This position will be based in New York City with two days per week in the office.
We’re looking for a Product Counsel to work alongside our North American Product Teams to help launch new products and services, as well as maintain and upgrade our existing offering in North America. You will work closely with the North America Product Leads, to support a cross-functional team of Bankers, Engineers, Government Relations, Public Relations and Operations Specialists.
Your primary focus will be to help the Product Team to expand the offering of our product in the US and Canada and identify and effectively manage regulatory compliance risks across a range of the existing and new products. You will be expected to maintain a strong awareness of the impact of regulation on commercial viability and technological innovation.
Launch New Products and Features:
- Collaborate with Product Teams throughout the product lifecycle: from design and user testing, to launch and post-launch monitoring.
- Empower Product Teams to take a risk based approach to building products, processes and controls.
- Collaborate to build practical and customer oriented product solutions while ensuring that the product remains compliant.
- Identify opportunities to improve our product proposition / competitiveness by thoroughly analysing relevant regulations and challenging existing interpretations and market practice.
Manage and Mitigate Regulatory Risks:
- Identify and manage Regulatory Risks across all Wise products offered in North America.
- Perform pre-launch and ongoing risk assessments, offering effective advice to Product Managers on existing and forthcoming regulations, gaps and risks.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Compliance Oversight and Regulatory Liaison to ensure Product Teams are aware of new and upcoming US and Canadian regulations and guidance from Regulators and industry groups.
Maintain an enterprise wide view of risk:
- Escalate breaches and high rated risks to Compliance Oversight in order to help maintain an enterprise-wide view of Wise’s regulatory risk environment.
- Identify related risk typologies and ensure that the relevant specialist teams (i.e. Financial Crime, Privacy, Treasury, Finance) have provided input into the product lifecycle.
- Assist Product Teams in developing and maintaining track of relevant risks across their product, including mitigation plans, action owners and timelines to completion.
A bit about you:
- Previous experience providing Compliance Advice within Financial Services, preferably with a focus on Money Services Business;
- Familiar with US and Canadian Federal and State/Provincial regulations;
- Familiar with the evolving regulatory expectations of the applicable US and Canadian Regulators (CFPB, FINCEN, FINTRAC, etc.) with regards to Money Service Businesses;
- Familiar with the local payment systems and their requirements within both US and Canada, including ACH, Card Networks, Wires;
- Ability to effectively communicate with Product Managers and Engineers and provide practical, actionable, and value added recommendations;
- Problem solving attitude, with the ability to use regulations together with data to drive business decisions;
- Experience (or interest) in working in a fast-growing technology driven environment;
- Willing to travel (after lock-down restrictions) for about 25% of the time as Wise offices are located across different countries;
- Legally authorised to work in the US. Sadly, we cannot support visas for this role.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Lots of awesome Wise benefits
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our New York office
A space as unique as the city. Here you’ll enjoy a full slice of Wise as we build the new world of money.