Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a sophisticated, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built and shipped every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
And, we’re looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join our growing Compute, Connect and Governance Squad in London.
The mission and purpose of the Compute team is to provide a compute platform for engineers to easily run and scale their services, while providing a standardised experience for running or hosting containers.
Currently we utilise AWS and Kubernetes to bring this mission to life.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Team
- Help scale, connect and secure our platform infrastructure.
- Automate our core platform components either at the AWS or Application level.
- Working hands-on in our Compute team. We are looking for keen engineers who want to build a first-class platform for product engineers in Wise, streamlining how fast an idea can be delivered and scaled into production.
- We are investing in building cloud native applications backed by AWS as well as scaling our use of Kubernetes, so curiosity and learning is key.
- You want to collaborate and work within the team, but also across the wider engineering organisation.
Is that you?
- Solid working knowledge of systems and software engineering fundamentals (algorithms, data structures, OO)
- Experience coding in languages such as Go, Java, Python
- Experience building APIs, SDKs, CLIs
- Experience in building highly reliable, scalable, secure, automated cloud native platforms (preferably on AWS)
- Knowledge and understanding of how distributed systems work, fail and how to scale them (across multiple regions)
- Production experience with containerisation and orchestration technologies (Kubernetes)
- Experience building Kubernetes operators
- Good sysadmin skills (Linux, debugging issues with disk, networking, application/JVM/OS performance etc)
- Experience with infrastructure as code and automation tools (Ansible, Terraform, etc)
- Production experience with architectural patterns such as microservices, service mesh, serverless
- Production experience running infrastructure at scale
Key Areas of the role;
- Build and maintain mission-critical cloud platform
- Identify where automation can scale, improve RTO and provide repeatable replacement for manual processes, evolve them so there is less friction between teams but still with guard rails and controls
- Monitor and measure our stack to ensure maximum availability
- Apply product thinking and customer focus to your day to day work
- Understand and diligently follow security best practices, and help keep your customer’s data safe.
- Drive continuous improvement of the platform, the team and yourself
- Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement
- Flexible working hours and location, open to international travel to engage with our teams regularly
What you get back:
🚀 RSU's in a growing company
💪 An annual self-development budget
🐶 Pet friendly offices
🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.