Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got more than 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And we are looking for a Staff Database Engineer to join the Tallinn based team.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, management and collaborative operation of databases together with the product teams. It is responsible for the stability, performance, and improvement of the database architecture and support of users. They work closely with all product teams as a central Database Engineering consulting team working as facilitators, helping them to scale and optimise the use of their database backends, research, test, choose and implement new database technologies, or features.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
Staff engineers are a diverse group with deep domain or technology specialisations that are applied at a team, tribe or company level. They have an impact on our mission by taking on hard problems with expert skills in system design, understanding scale, architecture, operational concerns and knowing where to compromise. They lead in scoping and executing most impactful work across engineering and the business.
- You will be a part of our platform team helping build our database infrastructure in the cloud across a constellation of microservices.
- You’ll be leading, working on and executing inter-disciplinary and cross-team projects.
- You’ll be mentoring/coaching/supporting engineers at all levels.
- We will be expecting you to consistently influence and help setting a vision and direction in complex domains. You should have a strong influence on the most impactful improvements and goals and act to align and facilitate work across multiple teams to maximise the impact for the company.
- You will partner with our product teams to make datastore decisions in order to scale Wise, sitting on the pulsing vein of daily product evolution. Our almost flat organizational structure doesn’t care much about titles and hierarchy and all can have their say and influence on decisions.
- You’ll stay focused on innovation and problem solving to create happy customers.
- You will sit across different teams, engineers in product teams, data analysts and fellow platform engineers to work towards one unified goal – growth, keeping our data secure and accessible for times to come.
- You should be able to proactively identify, at all levels, impactful opportunities and complex issues, propose and execute on appropriate solutions to resolve them.
- We expect you to be open minded and not biased towards specific technology and conduct independent evaluations and POCs on new technologies/features in order to propose the best solutions to continuously improve our customer experience.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen.
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen.
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore – post covid 19.
We recognize technical skills can be acquired but ideally you have the following:
- Extensive experience in at least 2, or more, of the following database technologies:
- MariaDB, or MySQL
- AWS ElasticCache, or Redis
- Within the above technologies you should be able to prove extensive experience in:
- Clustering and sharding
- HA with automatic failover
- Problem debugging and database performance optimization
- Working with cloud, preferably AWS, particularly with EC2 and RDS (exposure to Aurora and other AWS managed services is a plus)
- Experience working in multi technology & high availability Production environments where consistency is paramount
- Experience managing environments with several hundred databases
- Extensive experience supporting 24/7 mission critical databases
- Experience in scaling out databases
- Experience in scripting languages preferably Python and Bash
- Experience in automation tools, preferably Terraform and Ansible
- Linux experience, preferably Ubuntu.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with globally distributed systems
- Experience with MySQL (especially MariaDB 10.x)
- Experience in Caching or Search technologies
- Understanding of Scrum and Agile development
- Be a customer of Wise
A bit about you:
- You are passionate about technology and its relationship with business and user experience
- You have the ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems
- Are production environment oriented
- Have strong communication skills and ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Are Paranoid about security
- And are willing to be involved in building a product that is being used world-wide
What you get back:
🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
💪 An annual self-development budget
🐶 Pet friendly offices
🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.