Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And we’re looking for a software engineer specialised in stream processing to join our London based team.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise Mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The team you’ll be working with: Realtime Data Platform
The Realtime Data Platform team’s mission is to enable Wise to process data in realtime in a scalable, reliable, secure, cost effective, easy and convenient way. We enable asynchronous communication between microservices and provide the platform and tooling to run stream processing jobs.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
The infrastructure and tooling we provide are the backbone used by Wisers to enable messaging between microservices. Our stream processing platform powers the realtime calculations needed by our critical business processes, enabling instant transactions and other checks in a scalable way. The team is responsible for designing, building and running our Kafka and stream processing infrastructure.
In addition, our team leads the charge on building common tooling and defining good practises on how to produce and consume data company wide, making it easier to build a better product.
Is that you?
- Experience with Kafka Streams and/or Flink.
- Experience building production code with Java and Spring.
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools.
- Experience building and operating distributed systems at scale.
- Knowledge of architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh.
- Growth mindset and a desire to learn, teach, and improve skills.
- Previous ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure.
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of Kafka, ZooKeeper and their operations.
- Experience with deploying and monitoring services on the cloud (preferably on AWS).
- Experience with infrastructure management tools: Terraform, Ansible.
- Containerisation technology and orchestration platforms: Docker, Kubernetes.
- Building infrastructure integrations with Kubernetes.
- Experience in implementing SRE principles.
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of Wise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
- You’ll be able to choose your own path to success. You’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen.
- You’ll be offered the flexibility to decide on how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different, so we’ll do our best to make it happen.
- You’ll get to inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- You can Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore – post Covid-19.
- A fun work environment with social activities and events.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Engineering team blog
- 💻 Scaling our Infrastructure; how we make it work
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.