Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got over 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Finance BI
Finance drives financial accounting, business monitoring and representing Wise financials to board, investors, regulators and auditors. Their focus is on running financial processes in an efficient, scalable and controlled manner and ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting. Finance is split into three core engineering responsibilities, namely:
- Onboarding and journaling of financial transactions of new customer products/features
- Managing the governance and controls over all financial data
- Automation of accounting processes over consolidated transactional financial journals and preparing financial data for reporting and analytics.
Finance BI is responsible for the last set of activities.
The Finance BI team will almost double in size from 4 to 7 engineers over the next year.
You would have the opportunity to scale with the team and be responsible for shaping and delivering some of the key initiatives like:
- Improving the scalability and reliability of group accounting processes owned by the team,
- Designing and implementing real time data streaming flows to enable real timeliness of financial data & controls that is relied upon for critical downstream processing – customer money safeguarding, regulatory reporting and others,
- Building accessible Financial Data & Reporting Platform to make real time, accurate financial data available to all the stakeholders.
- As the data volume being managed by the Finance team is growing exponentially (almost doubling at the current growth rate), along with the need to make the data available in real time, with good controls and accuracy, this is a great opportunity for someone to have a huge impact in shaping and leading the delivery of systems that are scalable and reliable and eventually responsible for all Financial reporting for Wise.
Your role in the team:
- Supporting various Group Accounting processes – IFRS taxonomy implementations, Group financial consolidation, Trial Balance calculations
- Supporting big data pipelines (dealing with Terabytes of data, with the data volume almost doubling YOY) to prepare data that can be used for Regulatory Reporting, Business Reporting and other KPI outputs
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping team make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and coding, being involved in the entire process. Your hands-on involvement may reduce as the team size increases.
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous event driven microservices based architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses:
- Experience with Real time streaming frameworks/ technologies (Kafka Streaming, Apache Flink, Amazon Kinesis, or others)
- Experience with Analytical Data Warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, ClickHouse, or others)
- Domain Experience: Financial accounting, IFRS Reporting
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll build a good understanding of the domain and an overall understanding of the Wise business
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- 🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.