Senior Software Engineer – Machine Learning – Tallinn
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe. We transferred over £54 billion in the Financial Year 2021 alone, and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a passionate Software Engineer – Machine Learning to join our mission.
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies and routes, generating terabytes of data each day. This role is an opportunity to change the way internal customer experience and interact with the analysis of this data.
Your mission and role will be building and maintaining a cost efficient and scalable machine learning platform, that is convenient to use and that provides a good engineering and data science experience. Your input will directly affect how Wise is making decisions and predictions on billions of events.
What does it take?
- The ability to convince and get your voice heard – you’re comfortable making a case for what you believe we should be doing
- Experience being a self starter and working autonomously
- The mindset to solve problems from scratch
- Willingness to give and take regular feedback – regular feedback is part of our culture
A bit about you:
- You have solid engineering background in Python
- You have knowledge of cloud based ML solutions from GCP or AWS
- You have high coding standards – understanding of test coverage best practices & the test pyramid concept, and you are well versed in writing effective, scalable and clean code
- You are comfortable with DevOps and Continuous Delivery principles
- You have several years experience working with ML frameworks and libraries like Spark Mlib, Tensorflow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, H2O
- You have experience with distributed and concurrent systems, knowing the tradeoffs between stateful/stateless and synchronous/asynchronous architectures
- You have ability to work independently – identify problems, create plans and implement solutions
- You are a strong communicator with the ability to clearly relay your plans back to the team, mentor junior engineers and seek out feedback for yourself
- The customer is at the heart of everything you do and this empathy drives the decisions you make
Nice to haves:
- Passionate about technology and its relationship with product and user experience
- Some knowledge of the Java ecosystem including the Spring framework
- Experience with Ansible, Terraform, GitHub Actions, Infrastructure as Code, AWS or other cloud ecosystems
- Ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & complex systems architecture
- Be a customer of Wise
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- Work with a team of passionate Machine Learning Engineers who love improving the lives of our internal customers
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
And more… Check out our offer here.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.