Software Engineer – Continuous Delivery – Tallinn
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe. We transferred over £54 billion in the Financial Year 2021 alone, and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
Enter: our Product Platform squad! 🎉
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies, routes, products and features, where we are releasing thousands of changes per week. Product Platform is responsible for enabling Wise engineering to deliver these changes in a high quality, fast and compliant manner. This means focusing on all parts of the development lifecycle, from starting as code on a developer’s laptop to deploying the release unit running live.
Our product has to be highly available in order for our customers to be able to trust and rely on it, but this has to be traded off with release velocity. As a Continuous Delivery Engineer, you will be responsible for building and operating our next generation continuous delivery platform – which will be based on Spinnaker OSS. We have 500+ microservices running in several environments, and would like to leverage Spinnaker so releases are completely automatic and we rollback quickly on failure.
The team that you will be working with: Continuous Delivery
The Continuous Delivery (CD) team mission is to help Engineering teams ship faster and more reliably – without having to watch a release manually. This means building and operating the next gen CD platform, working with teams to figure out their release requirements, and integrating toolchain and toolsets into the central platform.
These (and feeling comfortable with the above) are the only must-have ones for this role – everything else is flexible! You have..
- Hands-on software engineer – will be building the platform and applying best SDLC practices (development, testing, applications, monitoring)
- Solid Java knowledge, experience with relevant application frameworks e.g. Spring
- Knowledge of CI and CD platforms – e.g. GitHub Actions, Concourse, GitOps
- Experience with cloud providers (prefer AWS), both in utilising its services and understanding of how Cloud infrastructure works
- Experience with Docker containerisation and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh
- Experience in scaling and building with automation e.g. including tooling in pipelines instead of manual operational changes
Nice to Have
- Scripting skills – in either Python/Bash/Go, especially building tools and CLIs
- Promoter and able to implement SRE and DevSecOps practices
- Understanding the measurement and differences between SLI, SLO and SLAs
- Good knowledge of Observability stacks and tooling – Grafana, ELK, Prometheus, Tracing
- Good discipline and skill in producing written documentation and diagrams
- Good knowledge of Cloud networking and security
- Experience working in regulated business – PCI etc
- Have experience of capacity planning as well as performance and load testing
- Be a customer of Wise
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.