Engineering Lead – Data Governance – Tallinn
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe. We transferred over £76 billion in the Financial Year 2022 alone, and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
Enter: our Data Governance team! 🎉
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies, routes, products and features, generating terabytes of data each day. Data Platform is at the core of systems that store, process and leverage this data, ultimately providing real time decision making capabilities that serve as one of many drivers for business growth.
It is imperative that we need to protect our customers’ money. There are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide. As an Engineering Lead in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organization, you will have an opportunity to directly affect data governance engineering strategy, building production systems ensuring we have strong and effective data governance controls in place, to detect and mitigate risks across our on-premises and Cloud environments.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team
- You will be responsible for the well-being of the team, coaching, mentoring and growing high-performing team in bringing value by working on high-impact solutions.
- You will support the team with occasional hands-on involvement as a software engineer and systems operator, bringing senior engineering expertise into building solutions.
- You’ll be collaborating with other leads, engineers, data scientists, analysts and product managers in the wider organization.
- Exactly what you’ll be doing day to day will vary, as our team looks at the big picture challenges we see across all of data platform, engineering and business!
Is this you?
These (and feeling comfortable with the above points) are the only must-have ones for this role – everything else is flexible!
- You are a problem solver, and are able to take ownership to deliver iterable solutions in a collaborative and open way, using agile and traditional project management techniques.
- You have excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills to communicate effectively new processes and workflows, and interact with teams from different areas of the organization.
- You have good leadership qualities and experience in leading data governance or engineering teams for several years.
- You're comfortable taking ownership of vendor negotiations and explaining costs to the business.
- You have a senior engineering background in Java (preferably) or Python ecosystems, having high coding standards, understanding of system design and engineering principles.
- You have experience in working with cloud service providers such as AWS (preferably) or GCP.
- You have experience building or onboarding enterprise data catalog/governance systems
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of graph databases or graph processing and data visualization
- Experience in building self-service tooling within the organization that helps engineers, analysts or data scientists do their job more efficiently
- Experience translating regulatory requirements (e.g. GDPR, CCPA, APPI) into actionable technical specifications
- Experience working in regulated business and environment – PCI, ISO27001
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems
- Be a customer of Wise
What you get back:
- 🚀 RSU's in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- Scaling our Infrastructure: how we make it work
We’re people without borders — without judgment or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.