Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission to make money without borders the new normal.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And we’re looking for a Platform Engineer to join our London based Database Engineering team.
The team you’ll be working with: Database Engineering team
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The Database Engineering team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, management and collaborative operation of databases together with the product teams. It is responsible for the stability, performance, and improvement of the database architecture and support of users. They work closely with all product teams as a central Database Engineering consulting team working as facilitators, helping them to scale and optimise the use of their database backends, research, test, choose and implement new database technologies, or features.
What does it take?
- You’ll be a part of our platform tribe building our database infrastructure in the cloud across a constellation of microservices.
- You’ll create and develop tooling and building automation to allow us to scale to 1000s of databases without breaking a sweat by eliminating the need for engineers to do routine tasks
- You’ll partner with our platform teams to define and make decisions on how to scale Wise, sitting on the pulsing vein of daily product evolution. Our flat organizational structure doesn’t care about titles and hierarchy.
- You’ll not settle at all for downtime and outages, do not want to be woken up in the middle of the night.
- You have the ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems.
- You’re production environment oriented.
We recognize that skills can be acquired but ideally you have three or more of the following:
- Experience with building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on AWS
- Experience in infrastructure provisioning and automation tools (Ansible/Puppet/Terraform etc)
- Experience defining and creating standard operating procedures that are compliant and auditable
- You take ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure – with experience of run, maintain and schedule upgrades
- You have experience in isolation of environments and working with various engineering teams to figure out how to best suit their needs
- Experience in containerization technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos etc
Nice to Have:
- Ideally has Practical experience managing databases or search engines, such as Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Cassandra or ElasticSearch, but not required.
- Experience with languages such as Java, Groovy, Python, Go, Scala etc
- Knowledge and an eye on architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, lambda programming
- Have ran performance and load tests at scale, and able to forecast capacity for the future
- Handling of data or event pipelines
- Experience with globally distributed systems
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of Wise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
💪 An annual self-development budget
🐶 Pet friendly offices
🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and board game nights
🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 🚀 Scaling our Infrastructure; how we make it work
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.