Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for talented Backend Engineers to join our Regional Expansion teams to join our mission and build our product, creating a scalable, performing platform that serves our customers.
In this role you’ll get to work with other Engineers in the Europe and North America regional teams on challenging technical problems across the full product life-cycle. You’ll be leading the development of complex systems that translate into smooth customer experience. Your mission is to make sending, spending, and receiving money in the region convenient, instant, and close to free – as well as finding ways to reach the potential customers we’re not yet helping.
- Integrate with local payment rails and work side by side with regional partners to connect Wise and their systems
- Optimise operations and extend our platform for new use cases
- Model and implement changes to our payment processing, scaling it to handle 10x the current volume
- Mentor new joiners and talented engineers in their early careers, setting them up for success
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise, but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work. We understand that everyone needs something different, so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things go back to normal) to work with our teams in London and Tallinn as well as meet various partners and organisations when needed
- Inspire teams and grow others with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take:
- You have a strong product mindset and passion for user experience. You prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- You’re passionate about helping others and keen to roll up your sleeves and take ownership of impactful projects
- You have great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to engineers and non-technical audience
- You have solid Java 13 plus knowledge and experience with Spring framework and messaging systems (Kafka)
- You have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas
- You’ve got a deep understanding of Continuous Delivery strategies and testing practices in a microservice architecture
- You believe in and follow best coding practices, code reviews and open feedback
Some extra things that would be awesome:
- You’ve worked with large distributed systems
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus
- You’re willing to travel and interested in working with and learning from our Engineers across our global offices
- You have a basic understanding about frontend technologies, like React or Angular
- You’re excited to work in a disruptive, fast-growing and fun environment
…but don’t worry, we don’t expect you to know everything!
What the first six months in this role will look like:
- You onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You learnt the Wise (Fintech) and team specific domains (Regional, Crime fighting, Core)
- You embraced our tech culture: how we build stuff, and specific details of the tech stack
- You deployed / gone through the entire lifecycle of a microservice on your own
- Gone through two quarterly plannings and proposed a few ideas to take your product further
What you get back:
- 🚀 Stock options in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🏠 Flexible working hours, working from home
- 🍎 Daily free breakfast, weekly lunch and lots of snacks
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🎉 An annual, all-expenses-paid company trip, Summer Days
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our Budapest office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
The first step is the application form. Here we ask you to include your CV detailing your past experience and achievements, a cover letter and a few questions related to the role.
Chat with Recruiter
In this round you will have a short chat with our recruiter to introduce you to Wise, our engineering philosophy and the role. We’ll get to know you a bit better – you won’t need to prepare anything in advance, but we do recommend finding out more about Wise if you haven’t already done so. You’ll also be able to ask us any questions you might have.
Pair Programming Interview
The goal of a pair-programming interview is to verify that a candidate can solve a “medium level” coding task within 40-45 minutes. In order to achieve it, we will use an interactive coding platform on HackerRank where the idea is for an interviewer to collaborate with the candidate and help him/her to solve a given task. You can find out more on Pair Programming here.
The Technical Interview round will usually comprise of a casual chat with the interviewers about some of your recent work that you are proud of, you could expect questions around justifying some of the choices you’ve made or discussing solutions for hypothetical problems that interviewers present. There will also be a coding round, a language-agnostic solution designing and you will also have a chance to ask questions so you can find out more about Wise.
The product interview focuses on evaluating your ability to understand details of a problem and how to prioritise what to build when solving it. You can find out more about how we think about Product Engineering on this blog.
The final interview’s focus will be around the feedback you got from the previous interviewers (which we will keep you informed about) and also with a bit of culture fit, motivation and your vision on how you see yourself working at Wise. The final interview usually takes 1 hour + will still involve some technical questions.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Budapest office
Architecture straight out of a fairytale, unrivalled hospitality and a commendable love of paprika… our office in 'Angel Land' awaits.