Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Team Lead to join our mission.
Team you’ll be working in: Payments Platform
The Payments Platform team is based across our Tallinn and Cherkasy offices. They’re part of our Accounts & Receive Tribe and they play a key role in our mission to make receiving and sending money internationally instant, transparent, convenient, and eventually free.
We believe that there’s no reason why cross-border payments should be harder, slower, or more expensive than domestic ones. And we’re working hard to change it. This is where you come in. You’ll help us scale our payments platform to support businesses and consumers that want to pay or get paid internationally.
The team owns the system that facilitates all the incoming payments to Wise via any of our 20+ supported payment methods. They’re working very closely with the rest of the Receive tribe to enable building a new, exciting product on top of their platform. At the same time, they’re focusing on scaling our platform to support our increasing volume and make expanding to more payment methods across the globe as easy as a configuration change. Sounds fun? Join us!
Your role in the team:
- You’ll be responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- You’ll provide feedback on architecture and approach and help teams make data-driven decisions
- You’ll have an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- When needed, you’ll roll your sleeves up to be involved in the entire process
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have worked with microservices architecture
- Experience in designing, deploying and maintaining clean RESTful APIs
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.