We’re looking for a Country Manager to join our growing Banking team in Brussels. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
People and businesses all over the world use Wise to avoid big bank fees and slow international wires when they send, spend, and receive money abroad. We have over 12 million customers who move £6 billion every month with us. We help them save £3 million in bank fees every day.
Our payment connections with banks, payment systems and other providers ensure the quality of our product and a large part of its economics. And our relationships with regulators, governments and payment systems are crucial too. So, we’re on the hunt for an executor with a brilliant mind and strong communication skills to help more customers save money with us.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to EU Banking
- Be a key, credible interface with both our regulator and the board of Wise Europe and be ultimately accountable so that Wise EU can demonstrate good governance.
- Showcase strategy, provide guidance and alignment amongst the various functions responsible for ensuring the good health of the entity (various compliance and operations teams, SLA monitoring teams, risk, policy, board of directors, etc).
- Make operational choices (providing additional decision making bandwidth for choices which do not necessarily require product managers).
Practically this could mean:
Regulator Interaction & Governance
- Be involved in or aware of all regulator interactions.
- Ensure that the team interacting with the regulator always has sufficient context and provides a high quality, coherent interaction.
- Ensure that we have a clear governance approach which we can evidence, and that each function contributes to this. E.g. ensure that we have functional, value-adding risk ceremonies.
- Work closely with compliance teams on an addressing any regulatory findings to ensure a high standard of regulatory compliance
- Ensure we have a clear coherent regulator relationship strategy and that we have a clear coherent strategy for positioning ourselves in the industry (among law enforcement authorities, industry bodies, etc).
Leadership, Strategy, Alignment
- Manage (upwards) the board of directors of Wise EU. Be the go-to person that the board holds accountable for Product organisation, representing the first line of defence to the board
- Be the senior point of contact for the entire Brussels team and responsible for maintaining Wise’s values in Brussels
- Ensure product changes affecting European customers are documented to ensure appropriate local governance
- Make operational choices relating to Wise in Europe – this would depend on the situation and would be made in collaboration with the wider team. These could include, for example –
- Reviewing and expediting choices affecting EU customers
- Attending monthly service reviews, influencing global operations teams to keep services within SLA and analyse the situation / influence these teams should this not be the case.
- Act as the executive agent should we face an incident, especially those which require decision making, project management, and configuration changes rather than development – e.g. assisting with planning should we be faced with a new sanctions change
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader – Build your team and inspire them to join our mission
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- Comfortable operating in a regulated environment, understanding that regulatory interpretation guides many decision making processes
- Able to get into operational detail of products and ways of working to optimise both at the operational level and at the more strategic (customer) level
- Able to work closely with compliance teams, to ensure we align both on the regulatory and product level
- Understanding of various risks which present themselves in a payment product such as operational risk, financial crime, AML etc
- Ability to influence both internally (product teams, banking teams, compliance teams) as well as externally (NBB, board, customers, suppliers)
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Brussels office
A small but mighty location. We love the city, we love the history and, above all, we love the chocolate.