Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. We’re working on lots of exciting challenges, and you’ll dive right into projects helping consumers and businesses receive and send money from anywhere in the world.
Team you’ll be working in: Cards Payin
The Cards Payin team is based across our Tallinn and London offices. The team is reshaping the Wise’s cards platform so that we can become the best card acceptance solution, scaling cards beyond Wise, supporting the most used payment method in Wise. Sounds fun? Join us!
What does it take?
- A strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritize work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently while also being a good team player. Your work will frequently involve cross-team collaboration.
- Ability to break down complex projects into incremental milestones that deliver customer value
- Experience in developing web applications and distributed systems in a production environment
- Experience with common design and architectural patterns coupled with a passion for writing clean code that is performant and well tested
- Curiosity and drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Following and advocating best coding practices, continuous delivery and code reviews
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas is a plus
- Knowledge of Java and Spring boot and experience with a messaging system, like Kafka, is a plus
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like?
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll understand how our values can help you guide your work
- You’ll understand the reasons behind problematic payments and customer difficulties and how to go about solving them
- You’ll be raising the automation level to enable scaling of the product
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product by finding solutions to our technical challenges and opportunities
What you get back:
- 🚀 Stock options in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🍎 Daily free breakfast, weekly lunch and lots of snacks
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🎉 An annual, all-expenses-paid company trip, Summer Days
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
The first step is the application form. Here we ask you to include your CV detailing your past experience and achievements, a cover letter and a few questions related to the role.
Chat with Recruiter
In this round you will have a short chat with our recruiter to introduce you to Wise, our engineering philosophy and the role. We’ll get to know you a bit better – you won’t need to prepare anything in advance, but we do recommend finding out more about Wise if you haven’t already done so. You’ll also be able to ask us any questions you might have.
Pair Programming Interview
The goal of a pair-programming interview is to verify that a candidate can solve a “medium level” coding task within 40-45 minutes. In order to achieve it, we will use an interactive coding platform on HackerRank where the idea is for an interviewer to collaborate with the candidate and help him/her to solve a given task. You can find out more on Pair Programming here.
The Technical Interview round will usually comprise of a casual chat with the interviewers about some of your recent work that you are proud of, you could expect questions around justifying some of the choices you’ve made or discussing solutions for hypothetical problems that interviewers present. There will also be a coding round, a language-agnostic solution designing and you will also have a chance to ask questions so you can find out more about Wise.
The product interview focuses on evaluating your ability to understand details of a problem and how to prioritise what to build when solving it. You can find out more about how we think about Product Engineering on this blog.
The final interview’s focus will be around the feedback you got from the previous interviewers (which we will keep you informed about) and also with a bit of culture fit, motivation and your vision on how you see yourself working at Wise. The final interview usually takes 1 hour + will still involve some technical questions.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.