Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We are looking for a new principal engineer to join our team!
Principal Engineers are the most senior engineers in our team. They take on and implement complex technology and product projects, demonstrating technical expertise across our stack.
They have extensive industry experience and are often recognized as being industry experts in their chosen fields.
They coach, mentor and support other senior engineers on design and implementation. They are on the forefront of major architecture and product initiatives.
Our Principal engineers help teams across engineering to make sound technical decisions and to ensure best practices are followed throughout the process..
About your new team!
The Compute, Connect and Governance Squad provide the core hosting platform for Wise’s many microservices and shared application stacks, while abstracting the complexity of maintaining or integrating into these technologies.
We also own the underlying infrastructure (Kubernetes clusters on AWS), ingress, egress and mesh services. As well as providing the right level of controls and access so that both platform and product teams can focus on scaling and improving our customer experience and journey.
Wise operates at massive scale in a highly regulated environment so all of this is done with a strong focus on reliability, scalability, security and compliance.
We understand everyone’s journey is different, so you do not need to have all of these skills and experience, but you will need a few of them.
- 10+ years of experience, at least 4 in a related senior engineering role
- Experience and a deep understanding of microservice architecture, protocols, tools, performance, horizontal scalability
- Experience of the software development lifecycle across both product and backend engineering teams.
- Proficient in one or more Wise core languages (in order of preference):
- Expert in Containers and Kubernetes platform orchestration and development ecosystem including aspects such as:
- Service Mesh Infrastructure
- L7 Proxies
- Experienced in public cloud architecture and design at scale.
- AWS – Preferred
- Expert in low level development and debugging of memory and performance issues, ideally in a Linux environment.
- Expertise in continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Strong knowledge of security best practises in cloud-based environments
- Experience working in highly regulated environments, preferably in Financial Services and a proven track record of translating regulatory requirements into technology deliverables.
- Background in product development is ideal.
How you will be supporting the team!
- Working with Principal Engineers, other Staff Engineers and Tech Leads to promote best practices and strong foundational architecture.
- Working with product management, senior management, and other stakeholders to set vision and define technical roadmaps
- Guiding conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across teams.
- Providing a point of escalation for teams within the squad facing complex technical challenges
- Collaborating and making proposals across teams on their engineering work, and helping team members make informed decisions in alignment with the sub-team strategic plans
- Evangelise successful adoption and use of tooling and technologies
- Teach, mentor, grow, and advise other domain experts, individual contributors, and teams in Wise
- Embody Wise’s culture and demonstrate humility in the way you interact with your colleagues
- Exemplify Wise values through code, reviews, communications, and processes
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of Wise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
💪 An annual self-development budget
🐶 Pet friendly offices
🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
The first step is the application form. Here we ask you to include your CV detailing your past experience and achievements, a cover letter and a few questions related to the role.
Chat with Recruiter
In this round you will have a short chat with our recruiter to introduce you to Wise, our engineering philosophy and the role. We’ll get to know you a bit better – you won’t need to prepare anything in advance, but we do recommend finding out more about Wise if you haven’t already done so. You’ll also be able to ask us any questions you might have.
Pair Programming Interview
The goal of a pair-programming interview is to verify that a candidate can solve a “medium level” coding task within 40-45 minutes. In order to achieve it, we will use an interactive coding platform on HackerRank where the idea is for an interviewer to collaborate with the candidate and help him/her to solve a given task. You can find out more on Pair Programming here.
The Technical Interview round will usually comprise of a casual chat with the interviewers about some of your recent work that you are proud of, you could expect questions around justifying some of the choices you’ve made or discussing solutions for hypothetical problems that interviewers present. There will also be a coding round, a language-agnostic solution designing and you will also have a chance to ask questions so you can find out more about Wise.
The product interview focuses on evaluating your ability to understand details of a problem and how to prioritise what to build when solving it. You can find out more about how we think about Product Engineering on this blog.
The final interview’s focus will be around the feedback you got from the previous interviewers (which we will keep you informed about) and also with a bit of culture fit, motivation and your vision on how you see yourself working at Wise. The final interview usually takes 1 hour + will still involve some technical questions.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.