Since 2011, Wise has had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone. We also believe our social responsibility extends beyond finance. We want to do our part to make the world a better place.
We’re looking for an Environmental & Social Impact (ESI) Manager to join our London office to advance our environmental sustainability and charitable initiatives. This role will be the first of its kind at Wise. While you’ll technically sit within the Policy & Campaigns team, you’ll work cross-functionally with a number of other teams and have radical autonomy to help us achieve our mission by reducing our carbon footprint and making a social impact.
We already measure and offset our carbon footprint, but you’ll help us reduce it to achieve net zero emissions by 2030. And, we’re already driven to improve our local communities and partner with charities, but you’ll take these efforts to the next level. You can read more about our initial efforts in the 2021 annual report (pages 23-25) and 2022 annual report (pages 30-35).
- Implement Wise’s environmental sustainability and social impact strategy
- Build Wise’s “eMission zero” carbon reduction plan to help achieve net zero emissions
- Develop strategic community relationships and lead charitable partnerships
- Communicate our ESI strategy internally and externally, including in our annual report
- Engage with internal stakeholders by leading an ESI advisory committee to ensure company-wide buy-in
- Provide guidance to the product team as they consider new features for customers related to sustainability or social impact
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success: You’ll have the freedom to define the vision and the responsibility for making it happen
- Become an industry leader: You’ll have the opportunity to chart an industry-leading approach on environmental social impact initiatives
- Develop a deep network: You’ll establish collaborative relations with key stakeholders, influencers, and policymakers in the environmental and charitable non-profit communities across numerous jurisdictions
A bit about you:
- Passionate: You’ll be a skilled advocate and deeply passionate about Wise’s mission, reducing our environmental footprint, and making a social impact through charitable partnerships.
- Environmental or social impact experience: You’ll have some level of experience, even if only a bit, working on sustainability and charitable initiatives to bring past perspective and insight into the role.
- Media-savvy and a skilled communicator: You’ll be a versatile speaker and writer even on complicated issues: from big conferences to government consultations to annual reports to social media, you are confident and compelling with multiple styles.
- Laser focused on outcomes: We’re a scale-up and you will need an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive. You’ll be laser focused on driving outcomes to benefit our customers by driving sustainability and social impact initiatives..
- External relations: You’ll understand how to leverage relationships, create connections, and ultimately build coalitions as needed within industry and the environmental and social impact communities.
- Without borders: You’re curious about other cultures, have a global mindset, and are prepared to spend time abroad for work.
- Project management background: Managing our sustainability and social impact partnerships will require cross-team collaboration and engagement with senior leaders in the company. While you’ll need to demonstrate the applicable skills regardless, we’ll give you bonus points if you have demonstrated experience as a project manager, contract negotiator, or in business development.
- Policy knowledge and regulatory experience: As the person managing our environmental data and setting targets, you may interface with regulators and perhaps even engage in the policymaking process at times. You’ll be off to a running start with demonstrated comfort in that arena.
We’re people without borders — and without prejudice too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.