Team and Responsibilities
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And we’re looking for a Network Engineer to join our growing User Tech team in London. This is a unique opportunity to bring your ideas and expertise to one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe, to help secure and improve our network infrastructure, and ensure all of our teams stay connected no matter where they are in the world
Here at Wise we’re working to create a seamless IT experience by offering all the tools people need to do the best work they can, and simultaneously avoid being a speed hump. We have a highly mobile, geographically diverse work environment. Currently we look after 20 offices of varying sizes where VPN and wireless connectivity plays an important role. We’re looking for an exceptional Network Engineer for our Network Engineering team to deliver scalable, stable, and well documented solutions as part of the UT team and in collaboration with other Platform Engineering teams.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing:
- Build and improve Wise office and VPN infrastructure
- Share knowledge with the team and mentor juniors to help them grow
- Communicate with various stakeholders throughout Wise, plan roadmaps with your team, and work through challenges to determine scope and realistic delivery
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Work in a modern, cloud heavy environment where remote connectivity is a staple of our tech ecosystem
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people and teams are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as an engineer – understand what problems the business needs to solve and why, then proactively resolve them. We shy away from micro management
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- You’re a self starter who can run with projects
- Reliability and scalability are paramount in your solutions
- Security and privacy by design mindset
- You think about risks and compliance
- You think that having an infrastructure being observable is as important as having it being available
- You document what you build and share them proactively and regularly
- You enjoy looking for where you can have impact and upset the norm
- You’re happy working in a flat organisation structure
- You’re collaborative and have the ability to tailor communication to the audience – both to technical and non-technical people as needed.
Must have skills:
- 3+ years in designing and deployment of enterprise network infrastructure and compute services both on cloud and on-prem
- Experience in making deployments repeatable using modern Infrastructure as Code principles and scripting.
- Experience in performing and supporting configuring zone-based stateful firewalls, ipsec, gre, security policies, network-ACLs, routing with BGP, maintaining and troubleshooting medium-sized enterprise and AWS networks
- Sound networking fundamentals – JNCP/CCNP-level knowledge desired, or familiarity with networking on Linux for non trivial tasks (e.g: bash scripting, tcpdump)
- Applying software development principles to infrastructure design and deployment
- Possess demonstrated history of being able to learn a technology or new tech-stack quickly
The following is a list of some of the technologies and vendors we use:
- VPNs (we use IPSec heavily)
- Vendors: Juniper, Cisco, Ruckus (both Physical & Cloud version)
- L2, L3 Routing (we use BGP heavily) and Switching
- AWS Networking: VPC, VGW, Transit-GW, Direct-Connect, VPC Peering with Terraform
- Python, Bash scripting
- Ansible, Nornir, Scrapli, Github Action
- Observium, Prometheus, Grafana, Loki
- Docker & docker-compose
Consider the above as more of a wishlist than a checklist
Nice to have skills:
- Software development experience is desirable but not essential
- Experience in all phases of project management from project vision and scoping to final delivery and close
- Hands on experience in Ruckus WiFi system troubleshooting
- Resourceful in sourcing and managing contractors or external partners to perform network infrastructure task
What you get back:
- 🚀 Stock options in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.