Since 2011, we’ve had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for a Regulatory Compliance Lead for the EU. Based in Brussels, you will work with a growing team of multidisciplinary specialists (Product, Treasury, Bank Product, Security) to help build world class products in Europe. You’ll help manage and strengthen the team’s relationships with regulators by having a clear overview of our regulatory requirements and how we meet them through our products, processes and controls. You’ll have ultimate responsibility for maintaining our UK regulatory authorisations and ensuring that these remain appropriate for our product offerings and features.
- Be responsible for delivering the EU Compliance Oversight Programme and improve it in line with our mission to be instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free.
- Own, maintain and update existing EU compliance frameworks, policies and documentation and build these out to support new products, including our new investment product.
- Develop systems to track and monitor our regulatory risk, compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- Build out and strengthen our existing control framework through implementing clear and auditable processes.
- Build trust with our regulators: manage and coordinate meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events.
- Lead in any regulatory audits.
- Take on and own new challenges that arise in any area of the compliance programme on a project basis. Take a problem-solving approach, whether designing a new process to be implemented or driving an effort for multiple teams to work together to meet new regulatory requirements.
- Work with teams across the business to educate them about the Belgian regulatory requirements, and empower teams to build risk-based processes which are clearly documented.
- Design and work with teams to implement and maintain management information (MI) that enables the Board and leadership team to make informed decisions and contribute to the Compliance framework.
- Oversee and maintain a healthy compliance culture throughout the organisation.
- Adapt your focus on different compliance issues depending on growth plans and compliance needs.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of TransferWise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them understand the regulatory framework and bring together the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product developments and new initiatives by horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments and sharing these with the teams.
A bit about you:
Our ideal candidate will have a background in financial regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation and positivity. More specifically, we’re looking for someone who can demonstrate they have these attributes:
- Theory. You are an expert in regulatory compliance having a background in Financial Regulation and a thorough knowledge of the Regulations and Rulebooks applying to Payments institutions..
- Practice. You have worked in a Financial Regulation advisory role or in a Compliance/legal team and have dealt with (or worked within) the NBB on a regular basis. You have demonstrable experience designing and challenging processes, ideally across multiple products.
- Passion. You get a kick out improving current practices and processes and have the drive to apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks. You have thought deeply about the Wise mission and how it intersects with compliance.
- Get the job done. You are a problem-solver. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, prioritising, taking responsibility and working to tight deadlines.
- Communication. You’re a strong relationship builder across all levels of the business and externally. You lead by example and can demonstrate the Wise values in all your actions.
- Development. You’ve considered the challenges and development opportunities of working at a fast growing scale-up and are looking to get into FinTech or payments compliance. Here’s a taster of what it’s like working at TransferWise.
- Travel. The role is Brussels-based, but many of our teams are located across different office locations. You’ll be ready to travel to meet your objectives, as a guideline roughly once every two months.
Language: You are fluent in English. Fluency in French or Dutch is a strong plus!
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Brussels office
A small but mighty location. We love the city, we love the history and, above all, we love the chocolate.