Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 12 million customers across the globe. We transferred over £54 billion in the Financial Year 2021 alone, and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
Enter: our Analytics Platform team! 🎉
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies, routes, products and features, generating terabytes of data each day. Data Platform is at the core of systems that store, process and leverage this data, ultimately providing real time decision making capabilities that serve as one of many drivers for business growth.
It is imperative that we need to protect our customers’ money. There are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide. As a Platform Engineer in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organisation, you will be part of the Analytics Platform team, who builds and runs the custom built services that make data available to the wider org. You will have a focus on running and maintaining the aforementioned analytics services, making sure we have the right observability and service management elements in place, with an eye for high-availability, assessing and reducing engineering load and devising more effective ways for the team to look after its cloud-based platform.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team:
This role has a higher focus on running the services already provisioned, along with potential new ones. We serve a live deployment of PipelineWise (https://transferwise.github.io/pipelinewise/), an initiative which started with this team. Add to this our Snowflake-based data warehouse governance and the analytics dashboarding tools we have in place and a more defined picture our remit starts to take shape. These systems are deployed either on an internally run Kubernetes cluster or run by the team on AWS components, eventually to be ported across to internally maintained solutions.
You will partner with our platform teams to define and make decisions on how to scale Wise, sitting on the pulsing vein of daily product evolution. Our flat organisational structure doesn’t care about titles and hierarchy. You will also have the ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems and you will not settle for downtime and outages.
We recognize that skills can be acquired but ideally you have three or more of the following:
These are the only must-have ones for this role – everything else is flexible! You have..
- Solid experience as a full-stack, backend, or data engineer during which you developed skills in technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform.
- Experience running large stateful data systems and production services in the cloud (AWS preferred)
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development.
- Familiarity with GitOps.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (Java, Scala, Python) (Python preferred)
- A good understanding of relational databases, big data, and stream processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, S3, Flink, Snowflake)
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices like good design documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and a preference for agile methods
- Communication, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skills to communicate effectively new processes and workflows, and interact with teams from different areas of the organisation
Nice to Have:
- Experience with tooling in the Observability space such as Splunk, Grafana (other tools like New Relic, Datadog and Kibana are also taken into consideration).
- Familiarity with deploying and/or managing Analytics tools such as Looker and Superset.
- Experience in building self-service tooling within the organisation that helps engineers, analysts or data scientists do their job more efficiently
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems
- Be a customer of Wise
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- Scaling our Infrastructure: how we make it work
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.