We’re hiring for a Payroll Manager to join our global Payroll Team. The role will be based in Austin, Texas.
Reporting to the Global Head of Payroll, you’ll lead a group of payroll specialists to support our employees across the Americas, covering NYC, Austin, Tampa, Brazil and Mexico
It’s a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, support our employees in all things payroll and help save our customers millions .
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. We’re 3000+ Wisers strong, with over 70 nationalities working in 25+ locations around the globe! We’re looking for a leader who lives our values, will help grow our culture, and drive our mission forward! 🚀
- We’re evolving our payroll model – you’ll have the opportunity to bring your operational skills and strategic leadership to help us build the payroll team as we continue to grow and scale.
- You’ll be accountable for a group of payroll specialists around the globe, leading their development and supporting them day-to-day. You’ll work to optimise processes and create efficiencies in our current ways of working and/or develop new ways while we implement payroll processing using our new global system while tackling tricky topics like compliance, internal audit and reconciliation across multiple countries for Wise.
- You’ll need to call on the functional experts across the People Team to assist you as we expand. This will involve high levels of collaboration across People Operations, Reward, Recruitment, Analytics & Technology teams.
- You’ll partner with our multiple third-party payroll teams and their advisors to identify solutions, reduce errors and process payroll more efficiently.
- Develop robust & detailed processes to ensure the execution of payroll in an accurate, effective, efficient and timely manner.
- Lead and maintain partnerships with payroll and tax vendors providing oversight, monitoring and approvals of all payroll related processes and compliance
- Partner with stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure all people-related processes and services are implemented and administered effectively, efficiently, and consistently (People Advisors, Finance, Tax)
- Review and approve pay period results according to the established deadlines, responsible for ensuring the timely submission of payroll inputs to the third party payroll provider
- Continuously drive for process improvement and lead future optimizations of the payroll area, sponsoring team projects, and an active role supporting the team in their SMEs
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures for continual improvements and efficiencies in the Payroll team
- Maintain compliance across all locations regarding payroll and benefits, to include International, Federal, State, and local payroll tax laws. All the while, meeting applicable timelines effectively and efficiently
- Lead, coach and motivate a high-performing payroll team
- Set KPIs and Objectives for the team (OKRs), measuring and ensuring these are being delivered, based upon Payroll Team goals
- Develop a strategy that the team will be able to utilize to reach its goals and objectives
- You’ll provide the guidance for any training, development and learning needs that team members require, providing best in practice working ways and making sure this is put into practice
- Manage the tasks, work, project allocation and flow of day-to-day operations, including team & task planning, with transparent and open communication
A bit about you
- You’re a payroll expert across multiple countries – you’ve had accountability and experience in all forms of preparing, processing, correcting, and auditing in all aspects of payroll
- Lead people in a high growth, product or service lead company – you know how to deal with ambiguity, shifting priorities and come up with innovative solutions
- Influenced & lead a global payroll team – you’re able to grow, develop, lead and manage a team across multiple locations Desirable: professional payroll certification to demonstrate your expertise and commitment within the field of payroll
- Data-based, facts-centric decision making experience – you’ll base decisions on data and have clear KPIs for all your plans
- Passion for payroll, people, and customer service – You’re not just going through the motions at work, you really love what you do
- Leadership – You relish the opportunity to lead others and foster their personal and professional development, while striving for outstanding customer service. Always.
- Detail focused – you’ll have an eye for the details and an appreciation of data and analytics, using these two skills to drive your decisions
- Adaptable – you will be as comfortable working with ambiguity as you are with certainly. We need someone who can be agile enough to respond to changing priorities, but be able to hold clear on the long term path ahead
- Challenge status quo – we’re not a traditional business and we don’t believe in doing things the same way everyone else does; neither do you. This comes to how we approach setting policies that don't make sense or introducing processes
Must already be legally authorized to work in the US, we cannot provide Visas for this role.
- Competitive annual salary
- Stock options in a profitable company
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- Company-paid: Life Insurance & AD&D Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- 25 days of PTO + 10 paid sick days + 10 paid banking holidays + a paid volunteer day, annually
- 16-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- 6-week paid sabbatical after 4 years with us
- Plus more! Click HERE for more info on benefits
Here’s a few articles for you to read to learn more about our culture and product
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Austin office
Home to beautiful outdoor spaces, this eclectic metropolis is vibrant and bursting with endless opportunities.