Since 2011, Wise has had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for a Compliance Officer to strengthen our compliance team for Malaysia. Based in Kuala Lumpur, you will work with a growing team of multidisciplinary specialists across Product, Verification, EDD, AML and Fraud to help build world class products in Malaysia. You’ll also manage and strengthen the teams’ relationships with regulators by being the Regulator’s first point of contact for financial crime matters, keeping everybody informed and protecting our most valuable asset – our customers.
This role is located in Kuala Lumpur.
- Improve the compliance product in line with our mission to be instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free.
- Maintain our regulatory licence for Malaysia: (i) regulatory liaison, (ii) regulatory reporting and filing, and be a champion of our compliance framework in audits.
- Build trust with our regulator: manage and coordinate meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events.
- Lobby and champion for any regulatory changes that may impact Wise operations in Malaysia.
- Maintain and manage effective compliance frameworks, policies and governance documentation.
- Develop systems to track and monitor our financial crime risk, compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- Work with teams to report management information to the Board so they are aware of the key risks.
- Educate teams about Malaysia regulatory requirements, and empower teams to build risk based processes which are clearly documented.
- Scrutinise and test compliance programs and work with Operational teams to develop our risk based approach, provide constructive feedback and be responsible for resolutions.
- Adapt your focus on different compliance issues depending on growth plans and compliance needs.
- Work with global Product and Operational teams in Singapore, Budapest and Tallinn, and travel to our operational offices.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Wise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them understand regulatory frameworks and bring together the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product development by helping our regulator understand our mission, and through horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments to share with teams.
A bit about you:
If you have a background in payments, or other financial regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation, then this role could be perfect for you!
- Theory. You are an expert in financial crime compliance. You have experience in payments compliance and dealing with BNM and other regulators.
- Practice. You have demonstrable experience designing and challenging processes, ideally across multiple products. You have thought deeply about the Wise mission and how it intersects with compliance.
- Passion. You get a kick out of improving current practices and processes and can apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks.
- Get the job done. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, prioritising, taking responsibility and working to tight deadlines.
- Detail. You have meticulous attention to detail and if you’ve skimmed through without reading this bullet point, I’m sure a bank would love to have you. Please add the secret word ‘broccoli’ into the cover letter uploaded to your application.
- Development. You’ve considered the challenges and development opportunities of working at a fast growing scale-up and are looking to get into FinTech or develop your knowledge of payments compliance. Here’s a taster of what it’s like working at Wise.
- Location. Must be willing to travel, subject to government regulations.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Lots of awesome Wise benefits
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in. We believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Kuala Lumpur office
Gleaming skyscrapers and a host of natural attractions are just the beginning.