We’re looking for an energetic and experienced Team Lead to join our growing High Risk Approval team in Singapore. This role is a unique opportunity to develop a high performing team, while leveraging your knowledge and experience to help millions more potential customers save money by using Wise!
The High Risk Approval team has a working understanding of inherent risks associated with complex business structures and activities, customer types, country risks and their respective mitigation measures. The investigation accommodates any legal, regulatory and operating requirements unique to specific business sectors or jurisdictions.
The High Risk Approval Team Lead is a people lead with a mindset that allows them to build processes that put our customers first while being aware of the risks surrounding the industry, specific products, and requirements set to us by regulations and partners.
The primary purpose of this position is to lead a team of specialists who evaluate and assess high risk customers, mitigate risks associated with them, while ensuring compliance with the established AML/CFT regulations, policies and Wise’s risk appetite.
- Hire, lead, develop and manage the High Risk Approval team, including amongst others administrative tasks such as scheduling, interviewing, hiring etc;
- Organise team activities and maintain a high team morale;
- Measure team performance, KPIs, plan capacity and maintain focus on the customer experience as well as regulatory/ audit requirements
- Foster the learning, development, and career trajectory of specialists on your team and perform regular talent mapping review sessions.
Processes / project management
- Be accountable for quality assurance of the approvals performed, taking decisions within our policy framework and working with compliance to evolve both our policies and processes;
- Develop effective operational processes, task allocation, training and performance management to deliver a great customer experience;
- Understand and manage training the team on our regulatory obligations, how our policies fulfil them and our risk-based approach to deterring and preventing money laundering and financial crime;
- Work with product and adjacent compliance teams, as well as financial crime operational teams to manage and mitigate inherent risks;
- Ensure appropriate documentation of new processes, procedures, workflows and methodologies
- Tackle other ad hoc duties
- Be able to represent policies, processes and auditable investigation work to regulators and auditors;
- Support specialists in the review and decision-making of onboarding complex high risk customers;
- Stay up to date on new regulations and ensure continual best practices across the transaction monitoring investigative process are effective
- Be able to “roll up the sleeves” and perform basic aspects of your team’s work
A bit about you:
- You are a Singaporean Citizen or PR (Please note we cannot sponsor visas for this role)
- You have very good verbal and written English, any other languages are a plus;
- You have a good understanding of the regulatory framework as well as KYC/AML procedures surrounding financial products and services;
- You are operating and leading according to the company values;
- You have great communication and presentations skills, to support internal and external projects and audits;
- You have strong analytical skills and ability to move team’s metrics/KPIs;
- You have proven track record of taking individual ownership and responsibilities, project management as well as being a great team-player;
- Your previous work experience in the financial sector or similar (that has given you an understanding of the relevant regulatory landscape).
- You are familiar with money laundering methods and other financial crime trends
- You have the ability to multitask,take responsibility in challenging situations and work well in uncertainty;
- You have the familiarity with reading legal and regulatory documents;
- You work autonomously within a limited variety of well-defined procedures and practices (not necessarily standardised);
- You have at least Bachelor’s degree
If this sounds like a great new challenge for you, please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter in English. Please note that an application without a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- As a Team Lead your main responsibilities include: guaranteeing that your team is performing, supporting your team members’ development and ensuring your team’s wellbeing. How do you plan dealing with your team members’ performance, contribute to their personal growth and development and ensure everyone is healthy in the team?
- Describe your experience with project management, and describe 2-3 initiatives you have initiated, driven, and/or managed. Please detail the steps you took to manage each project, track its progress, and see to its completion.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Singapore office
Wise is located in Paya Lebar — a bustling intersection between the colourful historic neighbourhoods of Geylang and Joo Chiat.