Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We are looking for an engineering lead to join our Connect team to look after and develop our purpose built in house service mesh. This team has a wide remit on how we discover/connect/secure/scale our microservices and AWS estate.
The Connect team sits within our Platform tribe at Wise, which designs, builds and operates the foundation technologies that power a product that moves £4bn every month.
In Wise, our platform technical leads both lead a specific domain from roadmap through to operation, as well as the people side of the team. Read on if this sounds interesting.
We recognise skills can be acquired but ideally you have 3 or more of the following:
- Previous experience leading and managing teams in an agile environment
- Maintaining and operating reliable software-based L4 and L7 proxies (e.g. Envoy, Nginx, Apache)
- Experience with microservices architecture (we have 500+) running in an containerised environment – ideally Kubernetes
- Exposure or experience working with Service Mesh Architectures i.e Istio, Linkerd
- Broad design and operational experience on public cloud – ideally on AWS
- Passion for automation, building and testing the tooling needed to build better products
- Experience in Java coding, testing and production aspects
- Reading familiarity with Golang and/or C++ (writing won’t hurt either!)
- Kubernetes microservices and networking experience
- Networking protocols from L3 to L7 & application-level concerns.
- Troubleshooting system & networking troubles on the Linux command line
- Backend development experience in Java or Go in a continuous delivery environment
Nice to have
- eBPF-based packet filtering and tooling experience
- Familiarity with transport layer security and certificate management
- Experience with Calico/Network Policies
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.
- Exposure and understanding of security best practices, implementations and standards i.e PCI DSS, defence in depth, network isolation.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore.
A bit about you:
- You have previous experience of leading and mentoring a team of engineer in a similar role
- You understand the value of balancing customer centric thinking and technical skills and can coach other engineers on both
- You’re comfortable and confident providing input to other teams’ priorities
- Wise is rapidly expanding so you know what it takes to keep pace with rapid business growth.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You have been involved in designing and operating business critical information systems, including 24/7 support
What does success look like?
- You’ll be building and maintaining the infrastructure and foundation of the technical parts of Wise
- You’ll ensure we have our services up and running so product teams can work efficiently
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll also have found your place in our mission and you understand our values and how they can guide you doing your best work
- You help Wise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform.
What you get back:
- You’ll be able to choose your own path to success. You’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen.
- You’ll be offered the flexibility to decide on how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different, so we’ll do our best to make it happen.
- You’ll get to inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- You can Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore – post Covid-19.
- A fun work environment with social activities and events.
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.