Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 15 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global product that’s scalable, reliable and secure.
The team you’ll be working with: Business Send
Our team works towards making Wise the first choice for international businesses to move their money. We’re learning their processes and adapting Wise experience to fit their workflows. We help our customers to do treasury, pay bills and contractors, manage payroll conveniently to save time on the routine and let them focus on what’s important. Our ultimate goal is to make running international business as easy as a local one to increase healthy competition in all markets and make the world a better place.
What does it take?:
- A product mindset and passion for user experience. You want to prioritise work with customers in mind and can make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to any audience, even a non-technical one
- Java (8+) or Kotlin experience and, ideally, experience with Spring framework
- Experience working with relational databases, query optimisation and schema design. Ideally, you’ll also have some experience with a few non-relational databases
- Reliance on automated tests and observability tooling to increase confidence building and maintaining services
- Experience with distributed systems – you know a thing or two about microservices, messaging systems like Kafka and how to design software with their possibilities and constraints in mind
- You have tried different software development methodologies and have found that there is no silver bullet – you prefer to think deeply about a problem and then decide on what structure and patterns to use to solve it.
- You’re kind and empathetic, relying on and supporting the rest of the team for discussions and code or design reviews.
What does success look like?
- You understand and can explain the problems people and businesses have when moving and managing money internationally
- You can explain the impact your work has on our customers and our mission
- You know where and how you can contribute to the Wise mission, in the context of your team and tribe
- You raise the automation level across our product, helping us drop prices even further
- You build leverage for other engineers and Wisers by improving tooling, documentation and processes as part of your daily work
- You contribute to creating a world class product by finding and building solutions to technical and product challenges
What you get back:
- 🚀 RSU's in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- ❤️ Statutory maternity leave, with a perk of 18 fully paid weeks of parental leave for birth or adoption
- ❤️Paternity leave for 18 weeks at full pay
- 🌿3 fully paid ‘me days’ per year to help you manage life
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- ❤️ Our Engineering values
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.