Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, since the people who are building this exciting future are our engineers, we want these people to have a great experience throughout their journey with us.
Enter: our Engineering Experience team! 🎉
Our EE team focuses on engineers, and we try to make continual improvements in 3 areas: productivity, engagement and culture. Those are pretty vague concepts, so let’s break them down:
- On productivity, our vision is “frictionless engineering”; we want to get to the point where our engineers have a rock solid platform and seamless team collaboration, where they can iterate quickly and ship cool stuff with confidence.
- For engagement, it’s all about people. Our vision is “Wisers support Wise” – we want to build an inclusive, supportive and fun environment, where our people come first, we help them grow and flourish, and they are proud to work here.
- Culture is about how we work together to build a sustainable environment where engineers can thrive. Promoting innovation, encouraging knowledge sharing, facilitating mentoring, contributing back to open source, measuring and reducing toil, are just some examples of how we want to build a great culture.
Even for the areas which seem like they aren’t software engineering problems, we believe engineers bring a unique perspective, and there are almost always things which can be helped by an engineering solution!
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team:
As a Team Lead, you’ll be expected to give your team members a high level of autonomy while assisting and mentoring them in a number of areas:
- Team health: You’ll be responsible for the overall health and productivity of your team. You’ll help with setting the culture, and identifying and implementing the right approaches for working.
- Expertise: When the team is making technical decisions you’ll provide feedback on architecture and approach, help them make smart decisions about managing tech debt while delivering new features, or help them solve thorny technical challenges.
- Prioritisation: You’ll lead a team responsible for understanding the pain-points faced by numerous teams. You’ll spend time thinking about the Wise Engineering org as a whole and challenging questions like: What steps do we need to take to ensure teams are productive and have the required tools to perform high-quality releases?
- Delivery: You’ll work with your team to build excellent services and tooling that other engineers can utilise to be more productive. Working with rapid iterations in sprints, you’ll do everything you can to help the team deliver on quarterly goals, set in collaboration with a Technical Product Manager.
Is this you?
These points are the most important for this role – everything else is flexible!
- You care about people, care about engineering, and are inspired by our mission to make things better.
- You’re good at communicating, comfortable collaborating with other dynamic teams to get things done, and willing to present to senior stakeholders or a large engineering audience.
- You follow a data-driven approach when making decisions, prioritising projects and measuring impact. If you don’t have the data, you fix that.
- You believe engineering should be an inclusive environment for all genders & ethnicities, and we need to work together to make the tech industry better for under-represented demographics.
- You’re capable of understanding and improving complex systems or processes which tread the line between people and tech.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring and open team environment where ideas are shared and every member of the team can live up to their full potential.
- You will not settle for unexplained downtime and outages, and will take actions to ensure we aren’t repeatedly solving the same problems!
- You’re able to see the big picture, keep this in mind while setting direction, and break down vast problems into manageable, measurable pieces.
- You know when it’s okay to accept someone else’s opinion even if you disagree, but you are also able to justify your views and stand by them when needed.
For the items on this list, if you’re missing some that’s not a dealbreaker. Curiosity and ability to proactively learn on the job are more important!
- You have already been working professionally as a software engineer (or systems / platform engineer if you’re more on that side), so when our team is building a technical solution, you’ll be able to contribute.
- You’re comfortable working with more than one programming language (this team owns code in Go, Python, TypeScript and Java 😅) and understand shared concepts such as OOP and design patterns.
- You know how to go about investigating issues in complex systems with an analytical, systematic approach, and you’re comfortable configuring logging, metrics and alerting to improve observability for next time.
- You are keen to build scalable solutions, able to think about complex software and systems engineering problems, and curious about how things work under the hood.
- You have knowledge about and keep an eye on modern architectural concepts such as microservices, service meshes and observability.
- You have some experience with AWS (or other public cloud) and containerisation with Docker and Kubernetes.
- You have good knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases – and how to best utilise them.
Nice to Have
- Opinions about and/or experience of great people processes – think staff onboarding, personal growth, training, mentorship & buddying etc. These are key to a healthy team, and areas we should be continually improving!
- Experience working as a product engineer, as well as experience working in the infrastructure / platform space.
- Understanding of distributed systems, how they can fail, and the best way to cope with those scenarios (e.g. chaos engineering, automated canary analysis, etc.)
- Experience with advanced software development lifecycle processes, such as dynamic development environments & change management tooling.
- Have a clear understanding of the test pyramid, including end-to-end functional and/or load tests across multiple services.
- Security-first mindset – keeping up to date with and possibly having worked on remediating vulnerabilities.
What you get back:
🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
💪 An annual self-development budget
🐶 Pet friendly offices
🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Budapest office
Architecture straight out of a fairytale, unrivalled hospitality and a commendable love of paprika… our office in 'Angel Land' awaits.