Backend Engineer – Regional Tribe (Tallinn based – relocation sponsorship)
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We need a Java Engineer/Developer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. We’re working on lots of algorithmical challenges, and you’ll dive right into projects on reconciliation, integrations, authorisations and authentications.
The team you’ll be working with: Payment Processing Platform
Payment Processing Platform is located right in the heart of Wise payment processing system.
Every single transfer executed at wise is processed by services built by this team. Every month, we move billions for our customers. Which is possible because of millions of instant operations daily that are executed by our system under the hood. Wise is growing 40% every year.
The main goal of the team is to make such growth possible by providing reliable and scalable services that can be used by all the other product teams in the company.
Your mission is to Design and build fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable systems. Optimize operations and extend our platform for new use cases. Model and implement changes to our payment processing system, scaling it to handle 10x the current volume.
What does it take?:
- A strong product mindset and passion for technical challenges, you prioritize work with the end customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audience
- Ability to work independently while also being a good team player. Your work will frequently involve cross-team collaboration.
- Experience working with highly loaded relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas
- You believe that testing is the easiest way to avoid mistakes in production code
- Knowledge of Java and Spring boot and experience with a messaging system, like Kafka, is a plus
- Experience in developing web applications and distributed systems in a production environment
- Experience with event-driven architecture and concurrent algorithms
- Be proactive in learning new stacks and have a high sense of taking ownership
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like?
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll understand how our values can help you guide your work
- You’ll understand the reasons behind problematic payments and customer difficulties and how to go about solving them
- You’ll be raising the automation level to enable scaling of the product
- Understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product by finding solutions to our technical challenges and opportunities
What you get back:
- 🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- ❤️ Statutory maternity leave, with a perk of 18 fully paid weeks of parental leave for birth or adoption
- ❤️ Paternity leave for 18 weeks at full pay
- 🏃♀️ 3 Fully paid 'Me Days' every year to help you manage daily life
- 🌍 Relocation and visa expenses covered
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.