Senior Engineering Manager – Regional Platform Squad
We are looking for a great Senior Engineering Lead with technical and people leadership skills for guiding the evolution of the platform for Wise Regional Expansion tribe.
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Senior Engineering Manager to join our mission. You’ll be a “lead of leads”, coaching and working with the technical leads who sit in our product teams.
The team you’ll be working with: Platform Squad
Platform squad is a part of the Regional tribe in Wise. At the moment more than 110 engineers are working there to increase global coverage of our products and deliver localised experience to our customers. Main responsibility of the Platform squad is to help regional engineers to be more efficient by developing tools and core infrastructural components.
We are hiring for an experienced leader to lead a group of four teams: “Payment Processing Platform”, “Currencies Platform”, “Payment Ops Tooling” and “Mobile Currencies”.
Your role will be a mix of technical and people leadership with overarching responsibility for guiding the evolution of the platform for Wise regional expansion. Our teams have a high level of autonomy, so you’ll guide them by providing the right context for them to make smart decisions, you’ll give detailed feedback on their plans: both what they choose to prioritise and the technical decisions they make.
On the people side, your aim is to grow a healthy engineering organisation, with individuals who understand their roles, and who have paths for growth. You will directly coach and mentor the leads of the four teams, and help them build and maintain highly engaged and productive teams.
You’ll work alongside a technical peer overseeing other regional squads which are facing similar product and scalability problems. For Wise to be able to cope with growing complexity in regional tribe we need to build a strong platform to support growth and reduce maintenance costs on an infrastructure.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and being involved in the entire process
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have worked with microservices architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses:
- Previous experience of working with international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.
- Leading teams with other Engineering teams as customers/stakeholders
- Experience in building/leading platform/SRE teams
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 Hybrid working at Wise
- 🚀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
…or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
P.S. Our employees can also work remotely from anywhere for 90 days a year 🌎
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.