We’re looking for a pioneering Surveillance Analyst to join our newly created Surveillance team in Austin, Texas!
This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a specialist in the compliance field, help millions of people around the world save money, and drive growth on the Wise Platform. You will also develop an in-depth understanding of Wise’s business model and foster relationships with teams across the company as you work to help them understand compliance risk exposure and mitigation strategies.🚀
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
You’ll receive a competitive package including a starting salary of $26.50 per hour + Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) in a profitable company + a wide array of benefits! (more info below 😉)
The Surveillance team is responsible for performing targeted investigations and analysis of high risk individuals and businesses in compliance with regulatory requirements. This team aims to identify and offboard customers who exceed the established risk appetite. Additionally, they determine a risk tolerance based on thorough investigation of a customers' risk factors and provide supporting documentation of findings.
The primary purpose of this position is to investigate and assess high risk customers in order to aid in the detection of possible money laundering and terrorist financing using risk-based approach methods while ensuring compliance with the established AML/CFT regulations and policies. The Surveillance Analyst has a working understanding of inherent business structure, customer type and country risk and their respective mitigation measures. The investigation accommodates any legal, regulatory and operating requirements unique to specific business sectors or jurisdictions.
The role as a Surveillance Analyst gives you the opportunity to:
- Review and monitor customers that present a higher tier of risk, having a deep and broad knowledge of Wise compliance framework and the regulatory environment;
- Monitor and analyze customer behaviour and transactions;
- Manage assigned tasks related to documenting case investigations, preparing risk assessments, analyzing/utilizing all available data, and referencing internal policies and procedures;
- Investigate high risk customers utilizing all available internal/external data to develop a comprehensive analysis of who the client is and whether the current risk factors can be reasonably mitigated or accepted through further measures;
- Have a deep understanding of different business models, customer types, country risks and regulatory requirements across multiple geographies;
- Take risk-based case decisions with a clearly documented and auditable record, in the context of our customer due diligence policy, acceptable use policy and applicable regulations;
- Perform searches utilizing Internet sources and/or third-party vendors (i.e. Google, LexisNexis and/or World Compliance) to determine negative news and obtain due diligence information for high risk customers;
- Communicate with customers as required to handle escalated or complicated cases with strong customer empathy as well as clear communication of decisions and policies;
- Appropriately apply a risk based approach when decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the reputation and safeguarding of Wise, its customers and assets, by aligning with applicable laws, adhering to internal policy, applying sound ethical judgement regarding customer behaviour and business practices;
- Provide guidance and respond to daily inquiries from peers, front-line and management regarding case analysis, when appropriate;
- When warranted draft SAR narratives to report activity deemed unusual.
A bit about you:
- Strong verbal and written English skills any additional languages are always welcome 😉
- Previous experience within the compliance or risk financial setting – college courses in accounting or business are also an advantage
- Understanding of regional and global regulatory requirements and essentials of risk based approach
- You can work autonomously within a limited variety of well-defined procedures and practices (not necessarily standardized)
- You are able to handle more complex activities with moderate variation – You can deal with less straightforward questions, coordinate with as many sources of information necessary within and outside the business to support solutions
- You are capable of identifying gaps in policies and processes and providing detailed feedback, including examples when possible, through the established communication channels
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong organizational skills, attention to detail, analytical abilities, and ability to adhere to strict deadlines in a fast paced and high pressure environment
- You're punctual, independent, proactive, and willing to get things done
- You have the ability to work in a diverse work environment which requires collaboration, partnership, and transparency
- You're flexible with scheduling and willing to work some evening shifts
- Most importantly – you understand that having a great working culture is everyone's responsibility, so you treat everyone with respect, you always give a helping hand, and you let our values guide you
- You must already be legally authorized to work in the US, we cannot support Visa sponsorship for this role
- This is NOT a remote position, this is a full-time hybrid position based in Austin, Texas
A bit about the role:
- Independent with daily tasks.
- Meet efficiency and quality expectations set for all team members.
- Has deep knowledge about markets served within the team and operational processes;
- Is able to detect problems, problematic areas and solve or escalate them as needed;
- Thorough understanding of applicable regulations, and Wise compliance framework (e.g. acceptable use policy, regional due diligence guidelines and AML policy and TW risk policies);
- Able to evaluate and reason customer risk level and applicable mitigation methods on onboarding a customer;
- Propose, align and document daily processes for use cases;
- 💵 $26.50 per hour starting salary
- 🚀 RSU’s in a rapidly growing company
- 💻 Hybrid working – up to 3 days/week working from home, the other 2 days in the office
- ✈️ Wisers can work remotely for 90 days a year. By ‘remote’ we don’t just mean from home, but from wherever in the world you choose to
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🩺 Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- 💝 Company-paid: Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- ☀️ 25 days PTO, 15 sick days, 11 holidays, 5 compassionate leave days, 3 paid “Me” days and a paid volunteer day, annually
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- 👶🏼 18-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 💰 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- Here's some more info on our benefits in Austin
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic. 💙
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Austin office
Home to beautiful outdoor spaces, this eclectic metropolis is vibrant and bursting with endless opportunities.