Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new norm. We’ve got 15 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
We’re creating a scalable, high performing platform for our customers. And we need Data Science Interns to join us in our mission.
At Wise you’ll work on challenging technical problems across the full product life-cycle and you’ll help us gain the understanding necessary to give our customers a great experience.
How you’ll contribute to our team of data scientists:
- You’ll work on a real data science project that matters to us, using up-to-date machine learning techniques. We can’t say what project yet, but your internship will be centered around this.
- You will help analysing data that will help us prioritise the most customer significant changes in the product
- Participate in building the most advanced machine learning based solutions to help us scale
- Help take Wise to the next level as we scale to impact 100’s of millions more customers
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Learn and develop professionally. You’ll work closely with your Wise team. You’ll learn by doing. And you’ll be guided and supported along the way
- Understand the Wise way through lots of opportunities to learn about our business and how it works
- Broaden your network. There are a LOT of experienced people here at Wise who are keen to share their experience and knowledge with you. They’ll want to learn from you and get your perspective on things too
- Choose your path to impact. We believe people do great things when they can act autonomously. So, instead of being told what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. You can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise, but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work. We understand everyone needs a little something different – so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take? These things are a must:
- You are a student studying a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree. This might be in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or any other STEM subject
- You are graduating at least in 2024
- You are able to start an internship in summer 2023 (26th June – 1st September 2023)
- Knowledge of computer science and machine learning fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, data analysis, linear algebra and statistics
- Understanding principles of machine learning
- You should have a good command of Python 3 and SQL and be familiar with major data analysis and ML frameworks
- A self-started side project(s) that you are proud to talk about
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Curious, keen to learn and proactive by nature
- You are open to and value feedback in order to improve
- Eligible to work in Tallinn or London
And these would be great, but aren’t essential:
- Experience in applying causal inference and/or uplift modeling techniques, for example with DoWhy and EconML
- Experience in designing and training deep neural networks
- Experience in applying machine learning methods to real-world problems
- Familiarity with TensorFlow 2 and/or PyTorch
- Familiarity with AutoML frameworks, especially FLAML
- Familiarity with Bayesian methods in machine learning
- Experience in web development, from a previous internship
…Don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What you get back:
- 🚀 Experience working in one of the fastest growing European FinTechs
- 🏃♀️ Lots of team activities
- 💸 Salary from €2,300
- 📈 Solve real customer problems with data
- 🙌 Fun offices with social activities – have a sneak peak of life in our Tallinn office!
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.